Get a pro now, wait, or get a surface?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by streetfoldsfive, Feb 21, 2016.

1. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Hello all!

I'm currently on the search for a new portable device. I'm a college student who currently has a Late 2012 fully speced iMac that has, for some unknown reason, gotten extreemly slow. I've also developed a need for a portable device. As a result, I'm on the search.

As it stands i'm debating between a Macbook pro and a Surface pro 4.

If I needed to do photoshop, premiere, audacity, etc... would the March 2015 Macbook pro (i5, 8gb, 2.7GHX) suffice? It can be had for 1269 refurbished. The only think i'm worried about is that the laptop is already a year old. Though this seems like a decent price.

My other option is the Surface pro 4 (i5, 8GB, 256gb). I think the surface is a wickedly cool device and would be a fun device to have. after specing up and getting the type cover i'm looking at about 1400+ However, I'm concerned about switching to windows and supposedly the device can be unreliable and buggy?

Anyone have any insight?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

It's a good device and it's not a year old...yet. The battery life is the one problem I had with the surface pro 4 which is why I have a Macbook

3. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Yeah that seems to be another complaint about the SP4. I honestly can't tell if I want the SP4 just because of the novelty. The whole touch screen and pen and tablet hybrid are cool, but i don't know how much I would actually use that.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Oh as a windows guy I love the device. Just that I need it for school so I need it to last all day. I am very happy with my Macbook Pro

5. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Going to be using mine at school as well. Do you mind if I ask about the specs of your MBP? I'm concerned about the longevity and use of programs like PS.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Base model but with the 256gb ssd. Since your a student bestbuy might still be selling them on sale plus go to student center on their website and sign up for it. They give put coupons for students and i know they have one for Macbooks $50 off. Got mine for $1,200 with it on sale plus $50 coupon. As far as photoshop goes i think it will run fine. Anything involving video rendering will work but it will be slower than the 15 inch Macbook Pro with a quad core cpu but totally livable speeds.

If anything bump up the ram to 16gb an you'll be fine

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

In college, taking notes? Heck yea surface pro! Drawing on those things is awesome! I have the first gen lol. Plus if you're living by a Microsoft store, they're just like Apple stores except no crowds, so you get pretty fast and pretty good service if you run into any issues.

That said macbook airs and macbook pros are my favorite laptops lol.

Still, surface pro! awesome time to get one when you're in college :)

8. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Yeah the SP4 looks awesome. I don't know how how frequently I would take notes using the pen since I have ****** handwriting on normal paper haha. I'm also concerned about the frequent bugs I hear about. Supposedly it has a tendency to be a bit unreliable and require a lot of tinkering.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

But battery life is pretty poor IMHO. Most reviews put it around 6-8 hours but with my test I had the screen around 25% and with Web browsing and YouTube videos I got around 4 hours of battery life. I was using Microsoft edge browser for it.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68000

With one note it will convert handwriting into text so it can be easily read. I don't have the greatest handwriting but it accepted about 90% of what I wrote and converted it.

11. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I would try the surface pro, or the new one that came out that is as powerful as this (not sure what its called). If your not gonna miss imessage, and icloud (mostly the password storing). go for the windows, but for me right now im dependent on imessage and passwords (in HighSchool)

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have a first gen Surface Pro at work that we use for development work. It's a great tablet, but a little on the heavy side. At home I've got a 2015 13" rMBP and I love it. The battery life alone is a good reason to buy one. I'd pick the Mac over the surface, but my usage is different than yours.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Bah :( That sucks. It's a shame they still haven't topped a macbook air for battery life.

14. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

15. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Do you think the one I listed for 1200 is a sound investment? I'm worried that I'm buying a near year old device.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    Elaborate? :)

16. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I would go for the pro. SP4 battery isnt up to par. Outside of that they're both pretty equal to me- minus OS preference.

17. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

To be honest i'm leaning that way. I'm worried about the SP4 being buggy and such. However, now i'm struggling if I should get the March 2015 MBP at the cool 1200$ price or wait. I need the laptop as soon as possible and waiting until late march or april seems difficult.

18. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I dont think you would be disapointed with the MBP, but the SP4 for sure comes with that risk. I do think we're due for a bit of a design refresh though.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's not like a box of cereal, it won't go bad after a certain amount of time. I will point out that no computer is a good "investment." It is a good tool and it will get the jobs it was designed to do done for several years.

The current Broadwell based rMBP is a nice computer. The Skylake model that replaces it this year will be 5-ish % faster. Do I care? No. Do you?

20. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

That helps put it in perspective. Thanks for easing my obsessive mind.

21. flow280, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

flow280 macrumors member

My personal experience with the SP4 (purchased, exchanged four times, and finally returned last October) was a complete disaster. In my experience, the device suffers from poor quality control (severe light bleed, dead pixels/dust under screen, and an assortment of other hardware defects), and the software is very unreliable (ironically, more so than devices from third party manufacturers).

As a college student myself, I recommend sticking with a Mac for school. Personally, I'll be waiting it out until the March 15 event, then buying the current model if nothing new is announced by then (or so I like to think, but I'm one of those people who would kick myself for not waiting for an update - especially if there's a redesign).

22. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Yeah that's what i'm debating right now. I do kind of need it as soon as possible and the refurbished 1200 price is really tempting me for the i5 8gb with a decent ssd, but i'm concerned there will be a revision. I don't care much about the small chip upgrade, but if the redesign it I will be kind of disappointed.

23. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Stick an SSD to n your iMac it'll be better than new, any small light laptop in the price range you are talking about will be fine for college.

24. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

First, the Surface Pro runs Windows. Fox News Tech recently did an article comparing Windows 10 to OS X. The conclusion speaks volumes. Second, from a build standpoint, the Surface Pro just feels "cheaper" than anything from Apple. Finally, even though Microsoft won't admit it, Windows on a tablet really hasn't taken off. Most people run Surface Pro with a keyboard.

25. Borin macrumors regular

Borin

As someone who uses a 2015 rMBP for graphics work (CS6 PS, Maya, UE4) and some more mundane things (pages, notes, keynote, and at least 30 Safari tabs) on battery power getting a full day out of the batter, and after having had a small selection of other laptops and devices in the past, I can't say anything but get the pro.