Get a Thunderbolt Display or a Dell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavrack, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

Hey guys, so I'm currently in the process of redoing my home office and I'm currently torn between a refurbished Thunderbolt Display and a Dell U2715H. I live in Canada so a refurb TBD retails for $799 and the Dell for $699 (it's on sale and it ends today). First and foremost I'm a graphic designer so colour accuracy is a big factor here and having been accustomed to working on a 27" iMac in the industry the Thunderbolt display brings a lot of familiarity. My personal computer is a 2015 13" rMBP so I love the inclusion of an extra magsafe charger on the TBD, but where it seems to falter for me is that I want to hook up my PS4 to my monitor. With the TBD being incompatible thats a problem for me, however I did manage to find this: http://gamerzone.avermedia.com//game_capture/extremecap_u3 which from what I read will allow me to play my PS4 on my mac and thus the TBD too. But I am still unsure if it will work with my specific rMBP and do exactly that. But in the end, which monitor would best suit me and my needs? Much thanks!

2. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

3. Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

We actually already own one, however it's the main TV and I'd like the option to use the PS4 whenever. So for me I'd have to use it on one of the two monitors.

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I'd go with the Dell, or anything other than a Thunderbolt Display. It's so old and limited. Wouldn't it even require the little magsafe adapter for charging? For an $800 display, I'd get something I know I could easily use with other devices and wasn't limited to just Thunderbolt via Mini Display Port because that's likely going away on the MBP with the next design.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

The only reason to go with the Thunderbolt Display is the built-in charger and dock functionality, and possibly design if that matters. And the dock is only really relevant if you require FireWire or Ethernet, as the Dell also has USB (and 3.0 at that vs. the 2.0 on the TD).

In all other respects, the UltrasSharp is superior by a wide margin.

6. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Apple's display is just insanely overpriced and ****** compared to other offerings today.