"get Album artwork"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dougbraz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dougbraz macrumors newbie

When I click on this (iTunes 10.6 currently), it not only tries to find some missing album covers, but also changes some that already there (painstakingly copy pasted from Safari). Is this correct - or how can I nullify this alteration of existing covers?
    Thanks

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

At one point I used that feature quite some time ago and found that it changed a Led Zeppelin cover to a Dread Zeppelin (yes the cover band) album art. From then on I never trusted it and always downloaded art from the web. The only art I get from iTunes is that which comes with the songs from the iTunes music store.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer manually adding artwork of higher quality than iTunes provides. Album Art Exchange is a good source of high-quality album artwork.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I also prefer manual artwork.

In addition to Album Art Exchange, I use Discogs.com. Admittedly, AAE has better-quality artwork, but Discogs.com has plenty of alternate artwork-- which is a lifesaver for those of us with electronic/dance music imported from Europe or elsewhere that has different cover art from the USA release.

5. emvath macrumors regular

Manually is the way to go. I simply do google image searches for my artwork. I try for at least 500 x 500 pixels and always make sure that the image is square (same pixels wide as high). Looks much nicer when everything is nice and square. But maybe I'm just anal.

6. dougbraz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup

Manual is the way to go..Shoulda learned that the FIRST time...
    Thanks for the feedback. Will give Album Art Exchange a shot. I used to google mostly.

7. dotheDVDeed macrumors member

dotheDVDeed

Instead of clicking on the Advanced menu command and updating my whole library (yipes) I always right click and only download one album at a time.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

the most important thing to note about the 'Get album artwork' is that it doesn't add the artwork as metadata to the file which means the artwork will not display on non apple products and also makes backing up the files (with artwork) difficult.

whereas manually adding the artwork embeds said artwork in the metadata, works on everything and backing up the files are as simple as copying the file to your backup drive.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There is a simple script from Doug's AppleScripts that will embed the artwork for you, though, for those who like the simplicity of just letting iTunes do the work but still need the artwork to be portable.

jW

10. umbilical macrumors 6502a

1+ for manually, apple cover are very bad, I even retouch myself and get premium results

11. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I use the find art work under advance on iTunes and it worked great for me. I added some albums that I have and I did not wanted to see the music symbol on my iPod or iPhone.

12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I'm so used to doing it manually
    i think i can do a better job than a machine