Get all relevant services to appear in context menus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Sep 8, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

Does anyone know of a way to get all the services that appear under Services from the menu bar to appear in the context menu? Currently only a few do. And if it’s five or more, they get pushed to a “Services” submenu (although I found a utility on Apple’s automation website [URL="http://macosxautomation.com/services/download/index.html”]here[/URL] that lets you change it to anything up to twenty-five)

2. cmaier macrumors G3

What should happen is that all services that are relevant to what you've selected appear. So if you select text, only those that operate on text appear. If you select changeable text (e.g. a textinput field, or the like) then those services which input and replace text appear. Etc.

3. devburke thread starter Guest

No I get that. But I only get all of the relevant results from the menu bar. The selection from the context menu is only a subset of what I get in the menu bar, for the exact same input. For example, here’s the context menu when I highlight this text:

Screen shot 2009-09-08 at 10.20.37 PM.png

But here’s the services menu with the same text highlighted:

Screen shot 2009-09-08 at 10.20.50 PM.png

Why doesn’t the context menu give me options like “New Note With Selection”?

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Hmm. No idea. In automator, you can tell which type of thing needs to be selected when you load the service. Is this a built-in service or something that you added?

5. devburke thread starter Guest

These are all built in. If you try it yourself, do you get all of them in both menus?

6. cmaier macrumors G3

Nope, I get what you get. All of the services I wrote myself seem to show up properly. Not sure what's going on.

7. devburke thread starter Guest

I think it’s probably just that the context menu services being new, they’re still a little odd. Hopefully an update (I’m guessing 10.6.2) will make them better, giving them the icons and groupings like the menu bar ones.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

Not sure if the built-in services are available to look at in automator or something. I took a peek in /library but didn' see them. Oh, well.

9. devburke thread starter Guest

Some of them are in /System/Library/Services

10. cmaier macrumors G3

Seem to be apps. Went into xcode and don't see a services template. I dunno.