Get an iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #1
    I currently have a hackintosh right now, but simply too many things don't work well on it for me to want it in the long run. I plan on selling it and getting an iMac. But would it be a good move to get one now? Do you think I should wait? They currently have $1500 iMacs for just $1049 refurbed. Is this a common deal or is that pretty rare?
     
  2. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
  3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

    mgridgaway

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #3
    Like many posters here will tell you: If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, it will always guarantee newer technology.

    Personally, I don't believe iMacs will see another upgrade before the end of this year. They were just upgraded in April and other products are in more desperate need of a facelift (Poor mac mini! Still running on merom!).

    And honestly, I don't think you're going to notice that much of a difference even if they did upgrade. iMacs already have a Montevina-esc architecture, and Nehalem isn't even slated to be released for the mobile platform until late 2009 (according to wikipedia).

    Trust me, playing the waiting game really sucks anyway.
     
  4. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #4
    Hmmmm, I suppose that's true. It would only cost about $600 to upgrade anyhow, I suppose there's no real reason I couldn't get the new one in January or whenever if I really needed it for some reason. And at $450 off refurbished, I probably wouldn't end up losing anything anyhow. Most of the iMac upgrades have been aesthetic/eternal, so I suppose whatevers coming next wouldn't be too amazing.


    Anyone know if the $1500 iMac for $1049 deal is common for the refurb section though?
     
  5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

    mgridgaway

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #5
    Depends on how you look at it. That particular iMac is actually a launch Aluminum iMac and doesn't reflect the upgrades made in April. On the plus side you get a larger hard drive and better video card over the current base model. On the con you get a slower bus speed and no penryn (which really isn't a big deal). Personally I would prefer more hard drive space and a better video card.

    Also, I would consider getting Applecare eventually since it's a revision A model. I plan on getting it when one year is almost up.
     
  6. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #6
    How much does a used, not 100% reliable hackintosh sell for these days?
     
  7. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #7
    Well I can always put windows on it before selling it. All the problems with it are related to OSX86.


    And thanks for the info, buddyguyman, I didn't realize it was the older model. Though as you said it would still be a pretty good choice.

    Also I think I might keep my current 20" screen before buying the new one. So I can have a dedicated ps3 screen/dual monitors.
     
  8. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #8
    Anyone else have some thoughts? I'm still finding it hard to decide.
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    As stated in numerous threads, if you need it now then get it. The line is very capable of handling many tasks. As I just posted, I seriously doubt there will be much by way of the iMac come 10/14. If anything a slight speed bump and perhaps for the kooky ... colors. However, I would say that if you're going to buy in the next couple of days then what you see in the store today is perfect. The closer you get to 10/14, I would say wait just to appease yourself. Otherwise you may regret not waiting that extra couple of days.

    In the end, anything you buy today concerning a computer will be old tech in a matter of weeks/months. The questions you need to ask are:
    Does the current line do what I need it to do?
    If no then what are the minimum specs needed to complete whatever I need to do?
    Will Apple bring out what I need anytime soon (the answer here btw is no because I bet you don't really know what min. specs. you need in order to complete whatever it is you do. Many of us don't.)

    In the end enjoy the new (to you) iMac that you're about to buy.
    ;)
     
  10. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #10
    Thanks.

    I'll will wait to the 14th, since I'll have to sell my current machine. I'll also be able to sell my current mouse/keyboard, so that will be a couple more dollars in the right direction. I just hope that the iMac deal I mentioned earlier is still in stock in about a months time.
     
  11. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

    ppnkg

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    I want to replace my G5 and I too am thinking whether to buy now or wait. Nehalem does sound great. But I could get now the current 3.06 24', which will be a huge upgrade from the G5 anyway. If nehalem is not coming to the imac until late in 2009, and any updates between now and that time will only bring marginal improvements, then there's really little point in waiting even for the 14th, it seems to me.
     

Share This Page