iPad Get an iPad Mini retina now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aPple nErd, Jun 2, 2014.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i don't need one now, but my iOS 5 iPad 3 is slowly dying, and i would like a smaller, more up to date iPad. so, is it worth getting a refurb retina mini, or should i jet wait for the next one? i'm kinda on a budget so id probably just get a refurb either way.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Sometimes just writing out a thread, such as this, allows the author a chance to think through his question and by the time he dots his last sentence, comes up with his own answer.

3. Robster3 macrumors 68000

You need us to make up your mind for you:roll eyes: If you need it get if not don't, no money no get, simple.

4. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

The OP states that he/she wants to buy a refurbished iPad Mini and is deciding whether to get the current generation or wait for the next one.

To the OP: the next gen refurbished iPad Minis probably won't be available until a few months after release, so if you can't wait till next year, then get one now.

5. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Get it now. If you wait till later it may come with iOS 8. I love the simplicity of iOS 7 so I'm a little worried about all the changes in 8.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You don't need one now and you are on a budget. Do we still need to help?? :)

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I love the retina mini (it's what the mini should have been last time around).

I doubt it's going to have a major change any time soon, given how large of a bump the last rev was (think iPhone 4 -> 4S).

8. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

What is the projected difference between the current mini and the next version? The security finger thing, some kind of water proofing and ? I saw a chart yesterday on devices that iOS 8 is designed for and the mini is on it. I just put my 2011 MBP on CL. As soon as I can get it sold I'm pretty sure I'll get the current mini because I am done with my Fire. Maybe OP needs water proofing?

9. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well, I'm either going to go with a retina mini 32gb current gen, or an 11 inch macbook air refurb. i need a new casual device/computer that i can take with me. i can't just haul my iMac around with me lol, so its either a retina mini or a macbook air. i guess i'll think about it. btw, yeah I'm not an iOS 8 fan, i would prefer iOS 7... so if i get a mini, it would probably be a mini 1, or 2.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It sounds like you have quite a few things to consider. The thread asks about current iPad mini vs. the third generation iPad mini, but then it seems that you're also considering a Macbook Air. Those are all rather different devices, and it influences whether or not waiting would be worthwhile.

As of now, the only credible expectation for what the next iPad mini will have over the current generation is the next-generation processor and TouchID. We don't yet know how much faster the A8 processor will be than the A7. Is the A7 too slow for you? Wait for the A8. Does TouchID seem useful to you? Wait for the next release.

The argument about iOS 7 vs. iOS 8 doesn't make much sense to me, to be honest. People rejected iOS 7 and stuck with iOS 6 because they strongly disliked the visual style. What is there to dislike about iOS 8 compared with iOS 7? With all of the features that each successive version has added in, you're basically handicapping your device by not upgrading. It's a personal choice, but my opinion is that it isn't a valid reason to go with an iPad mini 1 or 2 over the 3rd.

11. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I guess i will just go with a macbook. it will be more usable in say... 3 years. the only question now is... should i get new or refurb, or should i want for the next model with upgraded specs? the last one was released in june, right? so there should probably be an upgraded one soon?

12. andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

How about this: I just got an iPad mini with Retina Display when it was released because I had been saving the whole summer before and did not think the original iPad mini was worth it. So I waited and got it shortly after the release date.:cool: I was happy! But now as iOS 8 has been unvelied and the release of the new iPad mini 3 is around the corner I would like to know your opinions. Should I stick with my iPad mini Retina for the next one or two years or should I sell mine or save up for the iPad mini 3?

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you already have it, why not keep it and enjoy it?

There will always be a new model coming in the future (until they are discontinued). If you keep worrying about the next model you won't ever enjoy the one you have.

14. andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

Thanks much! I agree with you TWO2SEVEN, you are right. I should enjoy mine for how it is.

15. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

The Macbook Air was just updated a few weeks ago with 100mhz speed boosts. You can get the mid 2013 models pretty cheap in the refurb store.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I usually upgrade every other generation.

I have had the iPhone 3G, 4, and 5 and the iPad 1, 3, Air, and now rMini.

The phone part is easy with the carrier's 2 year contracts, not upgrading to the new iPad each time requires self restraint :)

17. andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

Yes! That is a good plan. I want to get the iPhone 6 when it comes out and then the iPad Mini 4 when it comes out in 2015. A relative of mine has an iPad 2 and he is still happy with it. Lucky him will still get the iOS 8 update.:eek::apple::confused:

18. rajpatel macrumors regular

I agree with the basic sentiment of twoOfSeven

But if the iPhone 6 is really nice, the thought actually creeped in my head of paying the carrier penalty and upgrading anyway. I am trying to kick that thought out of my head since this type silliness led to my bad financial state

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

There's probably a financial sweet spot for upgrade cycles if you sell your old device, but I don't know that it's worth it to try and find out what it is. It's bound to be a moving target as iPads become more common, too.

My preference is to use my devices as fully as I can, replacing it only when it can no longer fulfill my needs or if a newer device offers a major advantage. I upgraded from the first-generation iPad mini to the retina because the retina display made my hand-written notes much easier to read; I plan to upgrade from the retina mini to the third-generation mini if TouchID is included, because I use my iPad mini at work and lock/unlock it many times each hour. On the other hand, I'm still using my iPad 3 at home and probably won't upgrade it for another year or two, just because it does what I need (albeit more slowly than the newer models).

20. andrewsGF50, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

Ledgem, I get your point. But what about if I am going to get the iPhone 6 with Touch ID and only going to use my iPad mini Retina at home for entertainment, do you think it will be worth it to upgrade to the mini 3?
    Also, I don't have much money to spend....I would have to save for a good 6 months to a year to get the new mini 3 when it comes out.

21. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

"Worth it" is subjective. Some people say that once they bought their iPhone 5S, using any device without TouchID was like torture. If you find yourself feeling similarly, then the upgrade would be worth it. Personally, I love TouchID on my 5S, but I don't groan every time I need to unlock my iPad or iPad mini (even with a passcode exceeding four digits). I just find that I unlock my iPhone once or twice during a workday, whereas my iPad mini gets unlocked 20+ times, easily. It would speed me up if I had it on my iPad mini, and at work, saving time counts.

Looking beyond TouchID, there are performance characteristics to consider. We don't know how much faster the A8 processor and its graphics will be, but it's safe to say that it will be faster. Is there anything you do where you're finding that the A7 in the current iPad mini is lagging or can't keep up? The next iPad mini might include 802.11ac wireless support; is 802.11n too slow for you, and do you have a router that supports 802.11ac? If money weren't tight then I'd say to do what ever makes you happy regardless of how well the current iPad mini is serving you, but if money is tight then you have to be practical. If the current iPad mini does everything that you want, then what practical reason is there to upgrade?

22. andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

Yes, that is right. I was just saying that if I had an iPhone with Touch ID then it probably would not be worth upgrading just for Touch ID. You think the same right?

----------

Also, another question - what is you people's battery life on your current-gen (iPad Air and iPad mini 2) iPads? I just got a replacement iPad mini Retina because my home button was not functioning properly and the battery seems to be worse or more iffy than the one I had before...:confused::(

23. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm getting between 12-15 hrs on my Air mostly web. If i'm streaming audio with the screen off 20+ hours

24. andrewsGF50 macrumors member

andrewsGF50

I'm charging my iPad mini Retina to 100% now and will do JUST light tasks like web browsing and messaging and see what I get. I'll keep in touch and write tomorrow or Friday again.:)

25. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

My retina mini gives me 2 days of fairly heavy use. It sits in front of me on my desk at work all day and I'm using it for emails, address lookups etc and it is full on for 2 hours each day using Inrix traffic on my 94 mile commute.
    I usually put it on the charger at the end of the second day but it still has 30% power left. I think that is awesome performance. My first gen mini wasn't as good, but it wasn't shabby either.
    My wife uses an Air and is using it heavily during the day selling on eBay. She charges every night but just told me that it is at 50% or even 70% when she does. I scolded her a bit just now lol, telling her to not charge so often. So if you're having battery issues, I would suggest you go ahead and reset it up as new. I don't even think about recharging when I'm using my iPad - it is the farthest thing from my mind - I never even look at what powers left because it's so good.