Get an iPhone 3GS now, or wait for the new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomjdavies, May 3, 2010.

  1. tomjdavies macrumors member

    Sep 24, 2008
    Can't make my mind up on this one. I can get a 3GS now, or wait for the new one, and I'm liking the look of it after the gizmodo leak.

    However I have two quibbles

    1) Micro Sim. - This bothers me as I only have a normal sim, how easy will it be to switch over to a micro sim? I'm on a business contract through my dads work.

    2) How will it be released? Will the price points be the same for the handset as the 3GS?

  2. ZenoVT macrumors regular

    Apr 16, 2009
    I heard that you could just trim the bigger sim card to fit the microsim slot...
  3. troop231 macrumors 603

    Jan 20, 2010
  4. Higgs1 macrumors 6502


    Jun 6, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    this is true....

    just wait, questions been asked a million times, no one knows pricing, or anything yet, it hasn't even been officially announced.....

    wait wait wait..period
  5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

    Apr 14, 2010
    Washington State
    I'd wait and see what the new one will be like (including price point). Rumors seem to be pointing that it will only be a month (maybe two months at most).

    1). AT&T (or your provider if you are not in the US) will handle setting the sim up for you and it should be pretty easy to sync your programs/contact info/calendar info back up. You can even try backing up your old iphone and restoring the new one from that to get game info/settings back (though I hear this may not be a good idea as the new phone will have 4.0).

    2). I think it's worth waiting a month or two to find out. I would guess it would be but I'm not going to say for sure. It is quiet possible the 3GS will replace the 3G as the really cheap iphone option (if they decide to do the same thing) so bonus is if you wait you prolly will get a 3GS cheaper if that's what you want.

    Honestly, I would know I'd regret getting an iphone 3Gs now just cause I was impatient and then they come out with a really awesome new one. Worse scenario is that the new one isn't so awesome and I get the 3GS for cheaper.
  6. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 24, 2008
    Patience has never been my strong point... :eek:

    Although yes, it is probably best to wait. I just really hope its worth the wait!
  7. Resist macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    Why do people always ask these questions prior to every new product release?
  8. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 24, 2008
    I ask this question mainly because I'm so goddamn indecisive. Blackberry Storm broke, and I'm now using a dodgy n95 and need a new phone. After an awful experience with the Storm I've come to the conclusion I might aswell get the best - but I need something soon.

    It does bother me that I may wait until WWDC just to hear it'll be released in the UK at the end of July or something like that..
  9. AbSoluTc macrumors 601


    Sep 21, 2008

    Or buy something used and cheap to tide you over.
  10. tomjdavies thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 24, 2008
    Well hopefully this n95 will tide me over, but its on its last legs.
  11. AbSoluTc macrumors 601


    Sep 21, 2008
    Lol. I have seen worse. My brothers friend had duct tape holding her LG VX8100 together. My LG VX8100 split a seam and I had to super glue it all back. It's still around in my drawer in case I ever need it :)
  12. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

    Jan 14, 2008
    that's what I did! Been pretty crappy using a flip phone for a few months but it will make it all the more sweet.
  13. cowsrus macrumors 6502

    Mar 17, 2008
    worst comes to worst you dislike the new iphone 4g because of whatever reasons you have and you settle for buying a 3gs at probably around $100-200 cheaper depending where you buy

    regardless of what you are buying, is waiting 6 weeks worth saving $100-200?
    It is to me!

Share This Page