get an old Digital Audio g4 power supply start without motherboard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by timhansen46, Jan 5, 2009.

1. timhansen46 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got an old g4 digital audio that isn't starting up. I would like to get it working so that me mom will have her own computer to use. I don't usually mind sharing mine but after getting an eyetv for my computer I'm afraid of her messing up some recordings without knowing it.

The computer is showing no signs of getting power and I figured that the Power supply is busted. I was wondering if anyone new how to start the power supply manually without using the motherboard. I know how to do this with an ATX style power supply but now with the power supply that came with this mac. Usually I would use a bent paper clip and touch the black and green connectors. I figure if the power supply starts then I have a problem with my motherboard. If it doesn't start after using this test, then I need to start searching on ebay for another one.

I appreciate any advice you could give me.

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Here are the pinouts of the various G4 power supplies connectors and an atx connector. Looks the same to me.

If the ps is dead, an atx one can be modified to work. I did it with my AGP G4.

3. timhansen46 thread starter macrumors newbie

"search google? I never thought of that!", said Tim in a sarcastic tone.

4. timhansen46 thread starter macrumors newbie

So to turn the power supply on manually, I just do the same thing as I do with the ATX power supply? I tried that and the thing didn't turn on which I guess means that its dead. I

I've got an extra ATX power supply but I'm not sure how to modify it.

If you know of any website that explains how to do this, could you post a link. I'll look around for a website. If you know of any good descriptions could you send me a link. Thanks

5. timhansen46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work

It Didn't work. I found the wrong directions. I need directions for the Digital Audio g4 not for the one in the article I found. I've done a lot of google searching and can't find anything. Could someone please tell me how to do this for the digital audio g4.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You know.. some switch mode PSU's will refuse to switch on, unless it detects a load right?

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The only difference (problem) with the digital audio and later power supplies is the addition of +28vdc. The link I provided details this mod, but requires an external power supply for the +28vdc.