Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
After a decade of iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches and Airpods, I finally joined the MacBook club and a got a new retina air ($999 at MicroCenter). I've always had Macs for work (in advertising), but had PCs at home.

Should I add Apple Care for it? I've never had or needed AC for any of my Apple devices, ever. And the credit card I used to buy the MBA doubles the warranty (I know this doesn't cover accidental damage). I don't plan on traveling with it, or even leaving the house with it (that's what my iPad is for). I get use a corp discount to save $50 on AC. Just not sure it's worth it.

Also I was nervous about getting the 128 SSD, but after loading up all my files and programs, I still have 80GB free. Music and photos are in the cloud, so I should be ok, right? And honestly if I have an extra $200+ to spend, I'd rather get more storage than AC.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is hard for anybody to answer for you. You have to decide if you are willing to take the risk of paying for a potential costly repair vs. saving the money up front.

For myself, I never buy AC. Some people like it for the peace of mind.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
As others have stated, this is a personal choice.
I have an iMac, iPhone, and iPad. They all have Apple Care. These items simply cost me too much money to not have Apple Care, and then to fork out more, if something happened.

But, that's my opinion...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I do AppleCare. I have enough dumb issues on occasion where I like the 24/7 call support and the ability to get things looked at and fixed at no cost to me.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
After a decade of iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches and Airpods, I finally joined the MacBook club and a got a new retina air ($999 at MicroCenter). I've always had Macs for work (in advertising), but had PCs at home.

Should I add Apple Care for it? I've never had or needed AC for any of my Apple devices, ever. And the credit card I used to buy the MBA doubles the warranty (I know this doesn't cover accidental damage). I don't plan on traveling with it, or even leaving the house with it (that's what my iPad is for). I get use a corp discount to save $50 on AC. Just not sure it's worth it.

Also I was nervous about getting the 128 SSD, but after loading up all my files and programs, I still have 80GB free. Music and photos are in the cloud, so I should be ok, right? And honestly if I have an extra $200+ to spend, I'd rather get more storage than AC.
As others have said, it is highly subjective. You'll need to consider YOUR history with your devices... are you prone to dropping/damaging them or is that something that never happens to you?

Taking a rough guess, I've probably owned 40+ Apple products over 12 years or so. I never bought AC for any of them. In all that time and all those devices there was never a time when I could've used AC. My adult daughter on the other hand is pretty clumsy and drops her iPhone every day or so... for her it is a "must".

Reactions: Weaselboy

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple Care extends the warranty basically, however with Apple Care + (which i believe you get when buying Apple Care for Mac) you get 2 accidental damage repairs, so if you think that you're likely to drop or spill anything on the new machine then i would get it. Personally i don't buy Apple Care, that's mainly because i look after my stuff.

Also if you are in the U.K or any other EU country, you do get up to 6 years of consumer law IF some thing is defective, the only problem is that it may be difficult to prove. I have found that with Apple they are pretty good, i did have a bad experience at first with my 2017 iPad Pro that stopped working (lines across the screen then died) but after an email and conversation with Apple relations the situation was rectified to my satisfaction without the need for Apple Care or spending any more money. That was pretty good of Apple really as they didn't have to since the iPad was out of warranty :)

But as others have said it really boils down to you, if you think spending the extra is worth it for peace of mind then go for it :)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In general I don't think taking out extra-cost extended warranties is worth it. If there's an accident which damages or breaks the computer, then I consider it my fault and will just buy a new one. Lesson learned the hard way. If there's a defect, it's overwhelmingly likely to show up within the first year anyway (plus I buy most electronics from John Lewis who offer their own 2 year guarantee standard). For these MacBooks with this keyboard, though, Its more nuanced, as there is the possibility of repeated failures over it's lifetime, which could get costly if it's not added to the repair programme (I have to assume it will be, eventually). Though, I guess you have to weigh that against the fact most KBs still never see the failure (that we know of).

Reactions: sracer

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I have always had Applecare on my computers (never bothered with it for iPods), and I have had occasion to use it.

On my MBP, the HDD died a few months before Applecare expired, and it was replaced without a murmur. On one of my previous MBAs, the keyboard needed to be replaced, as did the MagSafe.

For me, it has paid for itself, and it has given me peace of mind.

Bear in mind that it may make it easier to sell the computer if it is Applecare; personally, if I were buying used, I would never purchase a computer that didn't have Applecare.

But, as others have already remarked, it is very much a personal decision.

However, while you can buy Applecare at any time in the first year, you cannot purchase it after that.

Reactions: Jayderek and sracer

ryannotlaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
I have always had Applecare on my computers (never bothered with it for iPods), and I have had occasion to use it.

On my MBP, the HDD died a few months before Applecare expired, and it was replaced without a murmur. On one of my previous MBAs, the keyboard needed to be replaced, as did the MagSafe.

For me, it has paid for itself, and it has given me peace of mind.

Bear in mind that it may make it easier to sell the computer if it is Applecare; personally, if I were buying used, I would never purchase a computer that didn't have Applecare.

But, as others have already remarked, it is very much a personal decision.

However, while you can buy Applecare at any time in the first year, you cannot purchase it after that.

Is this true? I thought it can only be purchased up to 60 days after buy your device. If it's a year, that's definitely easier on the wallet to buy AppleCare after your thousand dollar purchase.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is this true? I thought it can only be purchased up to 60 days after buy your device. If it's a year, that's definitely easier on the wallet to buy AppleCare after your thousand dollar purchase.
I think the confusion here is AppleCare vs the newer AppleCare Plus.

The newer AC+ must be bought within 60 days and covers things like accidental damage that are not covered by the old AC.

The old AC (non plus) could be bought within a year. I don't think Apple sells the old AC online any longer, but I have read you can still call and purchase it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think the confusion here is AppleCare vs the newer AppleCare Plus.

The newer AC+ must be bought within 60 days and covers things like accidental damage that are not covered by the old AC.

The old AC (non plus) could be bought within a year. I don't think Apple sells the old AC online any longer, but I have read you can still call and purchase it.
You nailed it in the bold. This caused some confusion when I originally bought a MacBook Pro Escape on Swappa. The seller said it was "AppleCare eligible" and posted a screenshot. I got the device, tried to add AppleCare, and they simply don't sell it anymore and a older than 60 day device is ineligible for AppleCare Plus.

leprekon666

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Ontario
I just got AppleCare+ and for some strange reason I got a free month. My MBA is registered for February 9th and I purchased AC+ on March 6. Now mine expires March 6, 2022. I thought it starts the day of purchase.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
I've had AppleCare on the last two or three Apple laptops I've owned. Also had it on an iPhone. In every case I've broken even or come out ahead. The crummy keyboards on the newer laptops are expensive to replace. I got two replacements on my present laptop. It might be my imagination but it seems that with AppleCare, Apple just repairs/replaces things without giving me much guff.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
And honestly, I don't know peoples' situations, but the lack of MagSafe makes this much more of a likelihood than in previous generations. I miss the hell out of MagSafe.
The MagSafe was a great invention. I saved me several times in the past. Now, I have to really be mindful of where my feet are.
[doublepost=1552350499][/doublepost]

Unless you are willing to self-insure for the full repair / replacement cost, you might want to spend the extra money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.