Get Apple TV 4K Now?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iPad Retina, Feb 8, 2019.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hi, Got an LG OLED55C7P, and looking to replace my Apple TV 2nd Generation. Should I get the Apple TV 4K or should I wait for the next one, or should I just get the standard Apple TV 4th generation? Thanks! Mainly sticking with these two options Apple TV 4K or a Apple TV 4

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

If you have fast enough broadband Internet speeds to stream 4K content, I would definitely get the Apple TV 4K. I have an LG OLED 4k TV and just got myself an Apple TV 4K. With the additional features of Dolby Vision/HDR and Dolby Atmos, the Apple TV 4K is definitely the way to go.

3. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If you are okay using the apps included with your LG, I'd pass on the ATV 4K.

The built-in Netflix app supports DV and Atmos. The built-in Google app supports HDR.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think it would be helpful to know what your intentions with the ATV are. If you are just going to use the same apps that are on your ATV2, using the TV's built-in apps should suffice.

I think the ATV4K is the best streaming box out there, but most of the streaming apps are very similar between the ATV, other streaming boxes, and built-in apps.

If you plan on using stuff like iCloud Photos, Apple's content, or games, the ATV4K would probably be worth it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    If you end up getting an ATV, get the ATV4K. It is much better than the ATV4, but only a little bit more $ if you are paying retail prices.

Also, the 32GB ATV4K is often on sale at many different places. It has ended for now, but every once in a while DirecTV Now has a deal for a free on if you prepay for 3 months of service, which still ends up being much cheaper than full price.

I bought the ATV4 at launch, and I think that it is underpowered. It launched with a A8 chip that was already a few generations old at launch, and is now much older. The ATV4K at launch had a current A10X chip.

I think the price difference between them is $20, and imo, a great deal. Or maybe the ATV4 is just a horrible deal.

5. miric macrumors member

miric

Sure, why not if you have a bit GAS (gaget acquisition syndrome lol). I don’t see any room for improvement here if you consider further gen.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I agree, I really expected Apple to drop the old ATV 4 to 99£ when the ATV 4K was released.

7. retiredatty macrumors newbie

Get the atv4k now!

8. RVM84 macrumors newbie

What is the ETA on a new AppleTV? MacRumors says "don't buy" but I can't find anything definitive that points to a first half of 2019 release...

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This is because there really isn't anything definitive, and this is typical for Apple products.

I don't think there will be a new Apple TV as a replacement for the current ATV4K, at least for the next few years.

There might be a cheaper model, as this was the only thing there has been rumors for lately.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    If you are interested in the ATV, I would just get one, and get the ATV4K, not the underpowered/overpriced ATV4.

I wouldn't wait for a new Apple TV to come out, because it might be a few years.

Also, if you are getting an ATV to only to use Netflix or similar streaming apps, there are much cheaper options other than the ATV. The ATV might be the best out there, but it is also very expensive and imo overpowered for just Netflix.

10. retiredatty macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    Don’t know but at least sept. My guess

11. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

In my opinion the ATV 4K is more than powerful enough for 4K HEVC with DV and Dolby Atmos streaming. With a fluid interface. It also fits well into the Apple eco-system. And if you have an AVR you can enjoy HiRes audio with Infuse Pro. Then you have an LG C7 (thus with HDMI 2.0), so the ATV 4K is a perfect match.

As I wrote in another post it would make sense to me that the next ATV will be the ATV 8K with HDMI 2.1. But there isn't any urge for that. Sure Apple could make a new ATV 4K 2nd gen. With a faster CPU and else. But it would be mostly good for games (which aren't there). Unless Apple adds VP9/VP9.2 support (the Codec used by YouTube for 4K and HDR) but again I suspect Apple isn't interested on conceding anything to Google. As I'm quite sure the current ATV 4K has enough power for a VP9 SW decoder. I have some apps playing VP9.2 videos (badly and lagging, but if Apple wants I'm sure they can make YouTube 4K HDR a reality already...).

In few words.. Just buy the ATV 4K now. I would be surprised if it drops in price soon anyway...

12. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

13. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Congrats!

It might take a little getting used to, especially the Apps and Siri Remote.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Siri Remote. I love having Siri, but only when it works. It has gotten better since tvOS launch though.

I really dislike the touch pad, the size, and design of the Siri Remote. I think if it had a D-pad with physical buttons, it would be so much better.

The Apps might also take a little getting used to.

Imo, the UI on the ATV2/3 version of apps, while aesthetically dated, is functionally much better than the tvOS counterparts. Especially Netflix.

14. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

What type of HDMI Cable should I get? Besides the Belkin one. And that its cheaper.

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I got an Amazon one that said it was rated for 8K, but had some issues keeping Dolby Vision on it.

I ended up getting the Belkin one a few weeks ago, and no problems with it yet.

16. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I use the 4k Amazon Basics and it's fine between my apple TV 4k and my receiver and between my receiver and lg OLED.

I have no problems with the Apple tv automatically switching from SDR to HDR or DV.

17. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hmmmmm, found a 64GB one for $200 CAD, should is sell the one I got off eBay. I can technically sell it for more.

18. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Definitely worth it if you will be installing a lot of apps; otherwise, probably not.

I had a 10-month old mint 32 GB 4k that I sold on Kijiji in a day for $150. I replaced it with a 64 GB version that I got with my CC's reward points. I would have kept the 32 GB except I needed to use up some of my points and they cut the number of required points by 50%. Got myself a 10.5" 256 GB iPad Pro to use up even more points.

19. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Is it worth getting AppleCare+ on it?

20. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If it has no problems after 10 months, I'd say no even though it only costs $29 CAD + tax.

21. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

it was originally an open box Apple TV form may. So it has probably been sitting somewhere for a while.

22. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

How much warranty is left on it? If it was never activated, the warranty would start on the day of activation.

23. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

True...

Most people could get away with the 32GB model. But, if you could picture yourself downloading a bunch of apps, especially games, the 64GB would be worth the extra cost.

Btw... I have seen posts in the past stating that it is impossible to fill a 32GB ATV, or something similar to that statement. This is not true, as I have filled a 32GB ATV.

I have not filled the 64GB one yet, but I am sure it is possible.

24. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Oh really? Yeah, might end up buying the 64GB one, most of the people are selling the 32GB one for $200 in Toronto. So I can probably sell it for more. Might put it up for auction on eBay again.

25. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I've seen prices for the 32 at $180 on Kijiji and Letgo but I'm not sure that people are actually buying at that price.