Get AppleCare for upgraded whitebook? Or go for 2.4 GHz MacBook instead?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rosee, May 30, 2009.

1. Rosee macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm a grad student just buying my first Mac and seeking advice from those more experienced. I intend to use the computer for normal student things – music, data analysis, video coding, and writing.

This past week with the start of the iTouch promotion, I was keen to buy the new unibody model. I learned, however, that the whitebook model had upgraded specs, better than those offered in the entry-level unibody! This leads me to a few questions:

1) Although tempted by aesthetics of the aluminum body, I can’t justify spending $300 more for that model when the specs are worse (e.g., 2.0 vs. 2.13 in the upgraded white), but maybe should consider purchasing the 2.4 GHz unibody? Thoughts?

2) If I go for the old whitebook ($1049 in Canada after the EOL discount) instead of the 2.4 GHz ($1649) should I really get AppleCare?

3) Applecare on both computers is $299 (pricey!). I do believe that extended warranty is a good idea for laptops – but its value seems better on the $1649 computer?

What are people’s thoughts on spending $299 warranty on a computer that is only $1049?

4) Should I consider only buying Applecare after 1 years time if I haven’t dropped the white notebook or spilled on it or whatever…

5) Would Applecare irregardless maybe be a good idea b/c if it busts in 2.5 years, maybe I can get upgraded to a newer model b/c the white Macbook won’t be around anymore?

Help!!! Want to purchase ASAP. Thanks in advance

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

for me, the white macbook represents some of the best value on the entire apple store. The design of the thing is pretty awesome too, in fact, lots of my friends prefer the more apple-like white look!

applecare is always nice, if only for the piece of mind, but you can buy it up to a year after the purchase of the machine so you could buy now and see how you feel about the applecare later.

You can also usually buy applecare on ebay for a fraction of the cost apple sells it for, however I have never done this myself so could not go into specifics regarding this issue.

Finally, the higher end macbook seems like a bit of a waste of money to me. The back lit keyboard is coola nd all but is it really worth the bosst in price (which is even larger if you are considering the white macbook).

3. iBadger macrumors member

At 1/3 the laptop price I would skip buying the warranty.

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Wow - 299 is way too expensive for macbook apple care. In the US, education customers only have to pay 183. If you know someone who is willing to buy it at the educational price and ship it over to you, you could easily save about 100 bucks. Otherwise, you can always try eBay for Apple Care. Make sure you get a sealed boxed version and not just an electronic code though.

5. expergo macrumors regular

If you have an education discount, Applecare is only $218 for any Macbook.

6. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I got my applecare off of eBay for $115 USD for my MacBook.

look in the thread of known bad sellers before you buy.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've bought it before off of ebay for a good discount. Just make sure its from a trusted seller, and you're getting an unopened box.

Apple portables can be difficult and costly to repair. Besides an extra two years of warranty and 3 years of phone support, it also gives you peace of mind.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get the whitebook AND applecare from a trusted seller...:D

9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Buy apple care. i have a whitebook and applecare has saved me about 1500 in repairs, It will pay for itself