Get Bell iPhone 4 Unlocked in US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Govena, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Govena macrumors newbie

Hey there everyone! Long time lurker and first time poster. Here's my situation:

I live in the US and I'm currently in possession of a Bell (Canada) iPhone 4. The iPhone is currently at the setup assistant for iOS 7. I do not have a Bell sim for it, so I cannot activate it via iTunes or the device itself. I have a friend that lives in Canada and uses Bell as their carrier. Would I simply be able to provide my friend with the IMEI number and have him submit an unlock request with Bell? Would that work despite the fact I have the iPhone here in the US and I do not have a Bell sim of any sort?

I understand that Bell is a CDMA carrier, but the iPhone 4 has a sim card slot (like the Verizon iPhones in the US). That's why I am asking.

Basically I have these two questions:
    1. Can an iPhone be unlocked even if it is stuck in the setup assistant?
    2. Can someone on Bell unlock a Bell iPhone 4 in the US with just the IMEI and no sim?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The verizon iPhone 4 is also a CDMA phone and does not have a SIM card slot at all. Double check your phone again to make sure it has a sim tray.
    The iPhone 4 was never a dual CDMA and gsm phone. It's either one or the other.

3. Govena thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought so, so I had Apple check it. It comes up as being locked to Bell even though it most definitely has a sim card slot and is indeed an iPhone 4 (not a 4S). So I'm a little confused by that. I don't think it's possible to flash a different carrier onto an iPhone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, cant flash or unlock it yourself unless you contact Bell and they offer to unlock it.
    Or purchase an IMEI unlock for it.

5. Govena thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, then I'll have my friend contact Bell and see what they say. One last question though (if you know the answer): can it still be unlocked even though I cannot get through the setup assistant due to not having the correct sim card?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you get it unlocked either through the carrier or an imei unlock then it will activate with any GSM sim card and let you past the setup activation screen.
    If you dont get it unlocked then you will need a Bell sim to get passed that setup screen and into the home screen.
    But activating does not equal unlocking. Even if you do activate it with a bell sim it still wont work or make calls any other sims besides Bell's.

7. Govena thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, understand the difference between activating and unlocking. Just wanted to make sure it was possible to unlock it first that way I could use either an AT&T or T-Mobile sim to get passed the activation screen. Thank you for you help!

8. 869639 macrumors 6502

Incorrect

Bell Canada is a UMTS/HSPA/LTE Network, they stopped developing their CDMA network back in 2006/2007, ever since iPhone 3G launch, Bell/Telus converted their network to UMTS/HSPA/LTE.

As for getting it unlocked, you can try and have your friend ask bell to unlock it, they will charge $75+Tax. Online services are very expensive....to the point that it would not be worth unlocking the iPhone 4.

9. nicholasss macrumors regular

You can Factory Unlock a Bell iPhone for around $100. Is it worth it? Well, that's up to you.