Get cydia to background normally?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by VTAb182, Aug 30, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

Whenever I try to activate backgrounder on cydia, it just goes straight to voice control with no backgrounder enabled notification. I have backgrounder to to auto detect (I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1). When I do an override and set it to run as if in foreground it doesn't do it. How can I make cydia background so I can close it and open again where I was, with going back to the homescreen and reload data and such?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Cydia used to background like other apps. Then one or two versions of Backgrounder ago, it stopped. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work again.

3. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You really don't want Cydia running in the background and/or with any mobile substrate add-ons running.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1 Not a good idea

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Understood so much but on a similar topic - is SBSettings disabled while running Cydia for the very same reason? I hate it when I realize I've fired up Cydia on a 3G connection and have to drop out to activate wifi.

6. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Yes, SBSettings is a Mobile Substrate plugin.

7. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Thanks, makes perfect sense then

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Best answer you will ever get! :cool:

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I am honestly curious, but why?

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Because cydia is used to install and modify those mobile substrate programs? See a problem with things running while they are being updated?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

try to pack a parachute after you jump of the plane....and them ask the question again.

Not really...but Cydia is a front end for apt-get, it modify the File system and the System's files, if any of those system file are in used it can cause real bad issues, if the program is not code correctly to handle those error is just going to trash your system.

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

hah, that makes sense, well now I feel enlightened.

13. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Backgrounder can be backgrounded by setting an override in the Backgrounder preferences application. Set it to the "Backgrounder" backgrounding method to run it as if it's in the foreground, and set "fall back to native" off. You'll want to also set "enable at launch" and "stay enabled" to on for the following reason...

The only reason you can't "activate" Backgrounder in Cydia is because the developer of Activator, the method by which you bring up any mobilesubstrate program that can be brought up, basically, felt he should disable Activator controls in Cydia for "safety" reasons or something. This is totally unnecessary. SBSettings, Backgrounder, and all your other mobilesubstrate programs are still running, but because Activator prohibits actions in Cydia, it is not possible to call them up. By setting enable at launch and stay enabled to on you can at least bypass this bs with backgrounder. For SBSettings and all other mobilesubstrate programs, you will not be able to access them in Cydia, but this shouldn't matter because you can simply leave Cydia in the background and go do whatever. I do this... no problems whatsoever. Also, Activator didn't always used to be this way... not too long ago you were able to 'activate' any running plugins from within Cydia... Now you cannot.

Hope this was helpful :)

Xanadeath

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not recommed at all :rolleyes:

Totally necessary, the main reason was that after beta testing, Developer realized that "most" script on Cydia were not coded to handel mobilesubtrate crashes (not really their fault, there isn't really much of documentation or APIs), At this point is easier to suspend the service while cydia is running than recoded the whole library.

There are always works around, you wouldn't want to install and Anti-virus software on Windows while a the OS is updating, or run a System level script of OSX while is updating, that is why you see that Windows wait (or force sometime) a restart and install update just before rebooting, and OS X does the same thing.

15. Sukarita macrumors newbie

OK, so cydia won't background...well then how do I get it to close? I updated backgrounder recently and now when I open Cydia I have to shut down my IPad to get it to close...and then it sometimes freezes at the Apple screen. I am afraid something is going to happen where I brick my iPad. Is there anyway to uninstall the latest update... Or to even find out what was updated recently. I have gotten lazy lately and pressed update changes without really paying attention. I have come to rely on things just "working." Now I know better. Thanks.