Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikev777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Hi everybody,

I have a tv remote control transceiver which allows me to control my tv with my iPhone. I'd like to give it to a friend of mine but the corresponding app has been discontinued in the App Store. The app itself is free. Is there a way I can transfer my app on my iPhone to his iPhone? We use different Apple IDs of course. Or is there a way he can somehow find this free app somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Get discontinued app for existing hardware

I believe you could log with your Apple ID on his device and look in the AppStore>updates>purchased section for the app in question to download. What's the name of the app btw?

Last edited:

mikev777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Thanks cnotes2019 for the response. I'll try that out. The app is called Control It All by micommand. It's a great transceiver but looks like the company just disappeared. Maybe they went bankrupt. Can't find much information on it now. Their micommand.com URL is now a catch all site.

mikev777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Looks like that's not going to work. I deleted the app from my ipad (kept it on my iPhone). I then went into the Apps Store>updates>purchased on my ipad to check if I could see it, and it was not there. Looks like I gave him a gift he cannot use. I need to figure out a way to get this to work. The app is free and it is not usable without the device which he now has.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was a good thought.

Michael

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Looks like that's not going to work. I deleted the app from my ipad (kept it on my iPhone). I then went into the Apps Store>updates>purchased on my ipad to check if I could see it, and it was not there. Looks like I gave him a gift he cannot use. I need to figure out a way to get this to work. The app is free and it is not usable without the device which he now has.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was a good thought.

Michael

Have you checked on the computer you sync with? I had an issue like this with an app I purchased and I couldn't find it under the purchased section on my iPhone so I had to sync with my computer to get it.

mikev777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Ok. I'll start exploring that path but the issue is I'm trying to give the free discontinued app to a friend who now has the hardware which works with the free app. If he ends up having to sync with my computer, all his stuff will disappear from his iPhone. In any case, not sure that would be allowed since people could end up sharing paid-for apps, as well.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Ok. I'll start exploring that path but the issue is I'm trying to give the free discontinued app to a friend who now has the hardware which works with the free app. If he ends up having to sync with my computer, all his stuff will disappear from his iPhone. In any case, not sure that would be allowed since people could end up sharing paid-for apps, as well.

Ahh yes forgot about that. Maybe try logging in with your iTunes account on his computer? Maybe you can transfer the app file via a USB to his computer? I don't know if this is possible though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.