Get extended warranty or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dusanv, Nov 4, 2007.

1. dusanv macrumors 6502

From what I can gather, the Mac Pros have been reliable for most people (except the x1900XT) so I don't know whether to get the extended warranty. Another consideration is that I'll likely be swapping the CPUs and the video card not too long down the line (which would invalidate the warranty, at least with Apple). What have you done?

Cheers.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait until you're near the end of your standard warranty before deciding, in my opinion. You don't have to buy it when the machine is brand new. :)

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

4. dusanv thread starter macrumors 6502

The cheapest I see it is ~$120. Can you post a link to your completed auction? Thanks.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Look around, the deals come and go. Look for the auction ones without buy it now, and bid 1 day before it expires...not many people will want to overbid you,

I saw one go for $89 shipped the other day. Even $120 is a good deal if you think about it.

6. JPJones macrumors member

I always get Apple Care (except for my iPods). Once you've been saved by it you never go without it.

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Indeed...Apple just replaced my 3 year old G5 with a brand new MacPro. :D

8. nikiski macrumors regular

If you purchased peripherals (displays, keyboards, mouse) with your Mac Pro those are covered too. So I'd say if you got an Apple Cinema Display with your Mac Pro it is a very good idea and a good deal to get AppleCare Protection Plan for them. :)