Get grandfathered in, without buying an iPhone before June 7th!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nrwrit3r, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Okay. So I just called the at&t guys and figured out how this works.

Requirements:

- Currently be on any at&t plan (you could switch to one right now in order to get this to work)
    - Have a friend with an iPhone

Basically, if you don't have the $30 unlimited plan by June 7th, you will only be able to get the plan that is $25 for 2gb.

So, you want to be charged $30 for unlimited data BEFORE June 7th in order to get the ability to be "grandfathered" into the data plan.

What you do:

Take your sim card, put it in your friend's iPhone.

Call at&t, ask them to sign you up for the data plan, explaining that you got a used iPhone. They WILL ask you for the serial number, but the at&t rep assured me it would not affect your friend's iPhone service or any such thing.

Get charged $30.

Wait for the new iPhone, buy it, and continue to be charged $30/month.

Good luck!

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This assumes you already have an active contract with AT&T, and your sales rep is an idiot. Nice hint though.

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

what if you dont have any friends........

...with an iPhone??

4. Jaw3000 macrumors regular

How about for users of the original (2G) iPhone? I'm planning on upgrading to the new iPhone this month, but would like to be grandfathered in on the $30 rate plan. I'm off contract, and can't seem to find a way to switch off the existing (and old) $20/month unlimited Edge+200 sms plan on AT&T's website. Anyone know how to do this?

5. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Here is what AT&T posted on their Facebook page for new data plans:

"We have thought long and hard about how to come up with a data pricing structure that serves the largest number of people and brings the benefits of the mobile broadband revolution to those who have been, until now, unable to afford it. Here's where we started: 98% of our customers use less than 2GBs of data a month on average...and yet the traditional “one size fits all” pricing model has been that EVERYBODY pays for the ability to consume much more than what the vast majority of our customers typically use. Day after day we listen to you guys tell us that smartphone plans are too high and that you want to be able to get the best phones at a lower monthly price. We've looked at all kinds of options and where we've landed is a usage-based pricing system for new smartphone customers that can lower the price for smartphone use. So here's the deal: if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you'd like a data plan more tailored to your needs, you can switch to one of the two new plans we're introducing."

6. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes - this thread is for current at&t customers who do NOT have smartphones, like myself

7. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

so wouldnt tethering apps such as MyWi be irrelevant now if you dont have the grandfathered plan?

there goes that whole "tether iphone to WiFi iPad" idea for future customers.

8. neenja macrumors 6502

9. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, it's for iPhones too

10. tnisatard macrumors 6502

go to an apple store, secretly bring a sim ejector with you

eject one of the iphones sim cards, put your sim in, call in at&t, add data plan

VOILA!

:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

LOL

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

People are reporting in other threads that AT&T reps are claiming that the new iphone will require one of the new plans.

The grandfathering is just if you keep your existing 3G/S phone (or buy/replace another one down the line). So if your planning on getting the new iphone, trying to get grandfathered is kinda pointless.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Stop spreading crap. ONE person posted that and they are wrong.

AT&T has released an official statement stating that users with an unlimited plan will be grandfathered.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...2173014134754.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed

14. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

What an explanation of Propoganda from AT&T. It's good they can't get sued for misrepresenting their motives. They make it sound like they're doing new subscribers a favor.
    Fact is, they want to limit usage because they can't keep up with the overload and provide great service. Especially in certain areas. If it's for the consumer, why didn't they come out with the lower rate plans, and keep the unlimited in place? They must think the public are idiots.

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

That still doesn't mean they can exclude certain phones from being eligble. (As that one person claims AT&T is doing, every phone is eligible except the new iphone)

For instance, you can get insurance on every phone AT&T offers but the iphone, even if you had insurance prior to to getting the phone (Which I know is supposed to be changing, but the point is still valid).

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, that's not the case. The statment is clear...and not sure why you think insurance and rate plans are remotely comparable.

One person heard one statement from a CSR. That's it. This is not a credible story to be repeating. Even the CSR admitted that they could be wrong.

17. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I'll buy it as speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if they required the new plans for the new iphone. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

18. neenja macrumors 6502

can anyone clarify that if i currently have an iphone 2g, which is $20 for unlimited.. i would be considered "grandfathered" in right?

19. neenja macrumors 6502

nm i found my answer :)

20. snsr macrumors member

Where did you find that info? I have a 2g on Tmobile now; I'm going to switch before the 7th if I will be able to go from $20/unlimited to $30/unlimited plan when upgrading to the new iPhone.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

For the benefit of others...yes.

So are you going to buy a 3Gs then return it @ launch? Something tells me if you activate your 2G and don't take a subsidied phone @ activation, you might find yourself screwed come launch.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Two lines on my family plan, combined, are going to save $360 per year. They're certainly allowing people to reduce their bill if they don't use much data.

In the end, companies want to make money. Your "for the consumer" line is just some naive talking point made by populists and people who don't understand business. Companies are going to try to make money. The only reason they "do things for the consumer" is that it might have long-term effects on their profitability.

23. snsr macrumors member

Ported my number and 2G to AT&T at a retail location yesterday. Rep said the computer didn't give them the option to add the $30/3G plan to a 2g iphone. I got a $30/unlimited "pda" plan and the rep said I shouldn't have any trouble staying on the unlimited come 4G launch.

Also; no contract, so I have an upgrade subsidy for the 4G.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

We actually discovered that you can use the $20 2G data plan to upgrade to the unlimited plan later. You're grandfathered in w/ the 2G plan.

As long as you're positive you can still sign an upgrade....I'd call AT&T and verify.