Get GTX 285 or just 'keep waiting' for new options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RebootD, May 16, 2010.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

So I'm going to pony up some extra cash to upgrade to the CS5 Master Collection which can use the GTX 285 CUDA capabilities BUT that thing is nearly a year old and still $460.

My questions come down to this:

1. Is the GTX 285 still cutting the mustard and worth that cost (I still have the pitiful 9500 I mean stock GT120)
    2. Just wait it out (like many others) and hope they release a new 2010 MP with updated GFX cards?

I used to keep up on benchmarks for GFX cards but after I made the 100% switch to Mac I didn't see the point. I guess I should have kept up.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

It's the most powerful card atm.

But you have to ask yourself, do you want to pay almost 500 dollars for a card that is so old that it stopped manufacturing several months ago?

Next card can come tomorrow. Or June. Or december. Or january.

Do you need a new card now?
    Only you decide.

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would wait if you can, but I guess you'll also need to check any new Mac happy card is compatible with your Mac Pro. I would assume yes but you never know.

4. Capt. Corduroy macrumors newbie

Might be worth waiting for WWDC (June 7) to see if the announce/release new Mac Pros.

5. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Well do we ever NEED one? :D

I was going to take you up on your amazing rom flashing tutorial (good job with that btw) but you can't even find cards to flash anymore!

Yeah you guys are right I need to suck it up and wait it out. I guess it's back to "Waiting for the Mac Pro 2010" thread!

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Is it essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then? Consumers. We're the bi-products of a lifestyle obsession.
    ;)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

See if you can get one used. I picked one up a few months ago for about $275 for an almost new unit, so I jumped on that immediately.

It works great, though I don't think the warranty is transferable (not that I need the warranty *knock on wood*).

If I was to buy it new, I would have stuck with my 4870. Otherwise this was a good upgrade. The extra VRAM is very handy for Photoshop CS4/CS5 OpenGL and multiple monitor setups.

8. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

GTX285 still a rip off 1 year later.

I upgraded my 8800gt 512mb to a Sapphire HD4870 1gb a year ago, bought a PC version secondhand on eBay for £140 and followed the flashing instructions on this forum.
    I still think it's the best method of upgrade and less than half the price of a Mac branded rip off Nvidia GTX285. WoW runs like it's on glass and the GF's creative works never slow it down, fantastic value and a happy GF, priceless. :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-ATI-RADEON-HD4870-HD-4870-1GB-GDDR5-PCI-2-0-UK-/120516578118?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1c0f590b46#ht_3798wt_941

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sapphire-ATi-Radeon-HD4870-1GB-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-/330433418503?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4cef5dd507#ht_1728wt_941

9. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Thanks for the links! One of the main reasons I was looking at the GTX is for CUDA + CS5 enhancements. Unfortunately with the exchange rates (I'm a poor old yank) they could get up to $200+ and that still too high for an EOL card. Thank you though for looking!

This is the reason I wanted to upgrade (since I'm upgrading to CS5 soon) plus I wanted to add a 2nd monitor without killing my GT120. (and I have about 4 DVI/DVI cables and I don't want to buy another adapter)

I will check around for a used GTX285 but right now I didn't find any. OR Apple could just release a new MP with more GFX card options! Everyone wins ha.

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You'd better hope the GPU options aren't all HD 5000 cards. Which is a distinct possibility and otherwise a good thing (IMO, maybe some of you want a $600 jet engine/barbecue in your PCIe slot).

11. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I didn't realize the ATI cards were that hot/loud I've just heard the Fermi 400 models were causing computer cases to melt.

Honestly I'm hoping for some more CUDA options but if all they release are ATI models that have at least 1GB of ram I'd be happier.

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I was referring to Fermi's. 5000s aren't too bad, and are very cool at idle. (5870 idles at only 27W) ATI cards don't run CUDA though, as I assume you are aware.

13. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

$460 for a GTX285 or $230 for a HD4870... hmmm

I still consider $230 a half price graphics card compared to the Nvidia ripoff, I also saw some shyster flogging a Mac flashed XFX HD4870 for $335 on eBay direct from the good ole USofA, so there is proof you could even sell it on at a later date, at a profit, should Apple unveil an upgrade that suits your pallet/wallet better.:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mac-ATI-4870-1-Gig-HD4870-Mac-Pro-Video-Card-/330436032650?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4cef85b88a#ht_500wt_1182
    Ignore the crap he spouts about Snow Leopard crashes on Sapphire cards mine didn't even blink when I upgraded. The Vapor-X models are really quiet and cool as phuq into the bargain.
    Choose wisely padawan :)

14. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

What a ****ing leecher.

"MacVidCards has brought you most of the latest Mac Video Cards for more than 5 years. We make and discover the cards that everybody else wants. For Mac Video Cards, if you want the best, come to us."

"MacVidCards has been the principal producer of new Mac Video Cards for more than 5 years. When each new flashed card has been brought to the Mac platform, MacVidCards is usually involved. Oddly enough, our competition frequently sells our discoveries for HIGHER PRICES, despite having nothing to do with the ROM writing or testing of these same cards. Buy them here for less."

15. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Something tells me, that it could be not exactly true ;) Statement, which you quoted, suggests that "they" are flashers and ROM writers... so probably got something to do with SD/TME community... but it's only my guess...
    Maybe "they" are MR memebers and will speak for themselves? ;)

16. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Shyster:
    Shyster is derived from the German term scheisser, meaning literally “one who defecates,” from the verb scheissen, “to defecate,” with the English suffix -ster, “one who does,” substituted for the German suffix -er, meaning the same thing. Generally used to describe someone who is untrustworthy, money grabbing and full of crap, particularly in the field of legal work for some reason.

Urban Dictionary FTW :D

I assume they are pandering to the market of nonTech Mac users who will pay the premium for a working card rather than risk bricking a $200 investment. Apple could be viewed in similar terms with the mark up they ask for their own GFX cards.

17. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I'm in the same boat. I just ordered CS5, but it seems the ATI HD4870 works nicely in After Effects, so I'm going to just see how it goes with that.

I ordered my Mac Pro with the ATI card installed, and I've loved it so far. I figure that if I do decide to switch to a CUDA card down the road, I can sell the 4870 to offset the cost, or keep as a backup.

I'm working on a P2 (DVCProHD) project right now on CS3, and my render times in Premiere are very acceptable as it is, so I have to think I'll be pretty stoked about the render times in CS5. Any faster, and I won't have an excuse to use the restroom or get a bowl of ice cream... Hahaha!

18. strausd macrumors 68030

I've read a few places that the 285 is only better for gaming where as the 4870 can be better for other 2D and 3D stuff. But if you can, you should wait because there is a good chance of there being at least a 5870.

19. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Just my opinion but I'd wait rather than pay that sort of money for a Nvidia card. I speak from bitter experience having had 2 8800 GT's fail on me recently...I don't like Nvidia's approach to GPU development these days....They seem to run too hot, draw too much power and also seem to be unreliable into the bargain.....Again, just my opinion based on my experience though.

I'd take a 5870 over anything Nvidia has to offer any day of the week.