get iMac now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gdeputy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So, my windows box in my signature has been giving me issues for about 3 months now. I've replaced nearly all internals and still lockups, freezes ect. Formatted 4+ times, nothing fixes it.

I've come to the point of wanting to wash my hands of it, and im considering a base 27" iMac.

Just for basic use, however I would like to be able to play Starcraft 2 on it. Don't care much about other games, frankly don't have time for them. Will this iMac be suitable for that? I don't mind running medium settings as long as the framerate is good.

Anything I should know before taking the plunge? I've fallen in love with osx since getting my air... i can get the base model refurbed for 1550 after tax ect.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Previous gen high-end 27" would be a better deal, it's 1529$ in refurb store. Currently out of stock but you can use Refurb.Me to notify you when it's back in stock.

3. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

is the gpu 4850 better than the 5670?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes

5. Superdry macrumors newbie

Superdry

i5 2.66

I second the idea to go for the previous gen 2.66 i5 iMac, I dont play Starcraft as you intend to but I do play Tomb Raider Anniversary and C&C Tiberium Wars both on highest settings possible with a really great experience.

I realise both these games are rather out of date now, but like yourself I dont have the time for much gaming so I thought I'd give you a rough idea of my gaming experience :)