Get iMovie outside MAS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cams, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I have a client who lives on a remote island and has no Internet. She wants me to download the latest version of iMovie for her and send it by mail. Can this be done?

Thanks

2. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

Maybe if you link her the file to , lets say dropbox or something. yeah, it would work i guess.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Umm... no internet = no DropBox

OP, I've looked around and am not sure what you want to do is possible. Even if you copy the app to a thumb drive and mail it to your friend, there are probably dependencies required for the app that are installed by the app store that won't be on your friend's computer.

App Store apps usually have to be authorized with the Apple ID and password of the purchaser to work on another computer. An internet connection would be necessary for that.

Maybe someone else will know more.

4. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought Darth. Does anyone know any different? I remember there was a hack to get the dmg for Lion when it came out so it could go on a USB thumb drive.

5. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

Yeah, but there is always a library or a friend perhaps? But sorry.

----------

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive-1450280026

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Download and put it on a USB flash drive. Do not start the app before moving. This works for all App Store apps that don't download further content (which they cannot do without Internet access!) or verify ownership (which seems to be most).

7. chrfr macrumors 603

iMovie doesn't install anything extra and Apple apps don't check ownership, so you can copy the app from one computer to another perfectly easily.