Get iMovie outside MAS

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
I have a client who lives on a remote island and has no Internet. She wants me to download the latest version of iMovie for her and send it by mail. Can this be done?

Thanks

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
I have a client who lives on a remote island and has no Internet. She wants me to download the latest version of iMovie for her and send it by mail. Can this be done?

Thanks
Maybe if you link her the file to , lets say dropbox or something. yeah, it would work i guess.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Maybe if you link her the file to , lets say dropbox or something. yeah, it would work i guess.
Umm... no internet = no DropBox

OP, I've looked around and am not sure what you want to do is possible. Even if you copy the app to a thumb drive and mail it to your friend, there are probably dependencies required for the app that are installed by the app store that won't be on your friend's computer.

App Store apps usually have to be authorized with the Apple ID and password of the purchaser to work on another computer. An internet connection would be necessary for that.

Maybe someone else will know more.

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
That's what I thought Darth. Does anyone know any different? I remember there was a hack to get the dmg for Lion when it came out so it could go on a USB thumb drive.

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
Umm... no internet = no DropBox

OP, I've looked around and am not sure what you want to do is possible. Even if you copy the app to a thumb drive and mail it to your friend, there are probably dependencies required for the app that are installed by the app store that won't be on your friend's computer.

App Store apps usually have to be authorized with the Apple ID and password of the purchaser to work on another computer. An internet connection would be necessary for that.

Maybe someone else will know more.
Yeah, but there is always a library or a friend perhaps? But sorry.

----------

That's what I thought Darth. Does anyone know any different? I remember there was a hack to get the dmg for Lion when it came out so it could go on a USB thumb drive.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive-1450280026

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Download and put it on a USB flash drive. Do not start the app before moving. This works for all App Store apps that don't download further content (which they cannot do without Internet access!) or verify ownership (which seems to be most).

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Download and put it on a USB flash drive. Do not start the app before moving. This works for all App Store apps that don't download further content (which they cannot do without Internet access!) or verify ownership (which seems to be most).
iMovie doesn't install anything extra and Apple apps don't check ownership, so you can copy the app from one computer to another perfectly easily.