get international SIM in Brazil

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sou1 so1di3r, Feb 13, 2014.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'll be traveling to Brazil in April and want to get a SIM for my iPhone 5S.

I have verizon in the USA currently. Will I be able to walk into any shop and just buy a nano-SIM?

Any recommendation on carriers? I'll be in Sao Paulo and then travelling to Rio.

2. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, to even purchase a sim card in Brazil you are required to have a CPF (The equivalent of our social security #). If you know someone there who has one (citizens/legal residents) you could get a prepaid sim card with their help.

I would suggest going the carrier Vivo as they are known to have the best coverage. Note that when going "out of state" you will be charged for roaming in Brazil. I was there for most of August and traveled from Rio de Janeiro to Espiritu Santo, and my $20 balance was depleted nearly instantly.

3. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

So I do have a friend in Rio. Would he have to buy it for me or could I just use his CPF number? Reason is I am starting in SAO and won't see him until a week after I arrive in Brazil.

I will be driving along the coast from SAO to RIO... sound sounds like I might be roaming?

4. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

I'm thinking he would have to buy it for you, merely by the fact that when I went into the store they actually took my friend's ID/CPF card to run it through a check or something like that.

RJ and SP are in two different states so you could face some roaming charges.

5. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

hmm shoot... sounds like I may be totally out of luck then. might have to be off the grid... ****.

6. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Just a thought, but I wonder if you were to buy a T-Mobile sim and activate a "new line" for one month for the $50, if you could get the free international data roaming. You wouldn't be able to make calls (or they'd probably cost $$$) but you'd have unlimited 2g data, enough to send iMessages/Whatsapp/facebook message.