Get iOS to recognize brand and company names with proper capitalization

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by applesith, May 18, 2016.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I've looked online and cannot find documentation or information as to someone can get Apple to recognize a word or phrase as brand with proper capitalization in iOS. I've seen some brands auto-correct to proper capitalization while others don't.

Is this done by adding to a user's iOS dictionary when installing your app, or is there a way to get submit this information to Apple directly such as application?

Many thanks.

2. Dookieman macrumors 6502

I believe this is Apple's domain. I'm not sure if there is a way to add your own proper nouns to the internal dictionary, but I would be surprised if there was. It's integrated into the OS itself and apps as far as I know, can't access a specific dictionary.

Good luck with having Apple edit their dictionary as well, I can't see them being very open to just accepting any old words as proper nouns without them being a well know, established company or product.

3. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Apps have access to the class UITextChecker which allows you to insert words into a user's autocomplete dictionary.

A lot of the detailed bits around its interaction wit the system seem undocumented, but it's been confirmed that calling learnWord(_: ) will propagate device wide. unlearnWord(_: ) works in the same manner, but will only remove words that were initially learned by only your app. And finally ignoreWord(_: ) is bound only to the instance of UITextChecker you've created.

4. Dookieman macrumors 6502

Good to know!

5. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Ah thank you. I had a feeling it could be done once you have an app installed. I wish apple offered a paid submission to have brands better understood by Siri and autocorrect.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are those private API calls?

7. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Nah. They are very public — UITextChecker's systemwide effect is missing from the documentation, though.