Get iOS4 on your iPod Touch without a Dev account, no jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 9, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Attached Files:

2. Danielcg macrumors newbie

Yay!

How did you do that????? plz tell me!
    PS: Why don't you want to jailbreak? It's awesome. :D

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It is possible to enable multitasking and home screen backgrounds, but it involves jailbreaking and SSH'ing into the device. All Apple did was remove a couple things from a .plist file to disable these features, it's as simple as adding them back in (I can't find the topic with the guide, but I'm sure a Mroogle search will come up with something).

5. Padraic macrumors regular

The instructions to do it are actually in the link the OP provided, but like you said it requires a jailbreak.

6. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

no jailbreaking is required all you have to do is have a mac and update itunes to the 9.2 beta and get the gold master 4.0 update file for your device. plug it in while holding the apple button click restore and find the 4.0 update file you downloaded. viola. i've been using it for 2 days now on my 3rd gen ipod touch

7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Multitask is supported on 3g Touch without any hacks. I have a 2G so I don't get it without SSH into the device which requires jailbreaking.

8. Danielcg macrumors newbie

Actaully, I have a jailbroken 2g ipod (8gb 3g same thing) and backgrounder works awesomely with it so steve jobs doesnt know what hes talking about when he said the hardware cant handle it. maybe the memory hogging multitasking method apple uses, but the jailbroken 1 works fine. :)

9. celticpride678

I got iOS 4 working on my iPod touch 2nd generation yesterday. Taking a look at the jailbreak released for it today, I'm a bit confused. Do you have to have your UDID registered with Apple to be able to jailbreak, or can you just jailbreak it without it being registered?

10. Boots- macrumors regular

You can just jailbreak it without it being registered, by using redsn0w, or possibly SpiritJB (Not sure if it supports iOs4)

11. celticpride678

That's what I thought...but why does the redsn0w website say that it must be registered?

Also, is it true you use the OS 4 Beta 4 IPSW file or the GM file to jailbreak it?

12. doras100p macrumors newbie

you JailBreaked your iPod Touch MC Model?

How?

It's doesn't work to me... :(

I saw that you can JB only the MB model...

P.S.

Sorry about me English.

13. Boots- macrumors regular

I've followed this guide. It worked great, thanks for the post. I'm just wondering, why is there airplane mode on the ipod touch? And also, there are no wallpaper images in the wallpaper settings menu. It changed my lock screen wallpaper to that new water drops one, but yet it's no where to be found.

14. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

I noticed those two things on my 2nd gen ipod touch as well. I just wanted to make sure that I installed the correct ipsw.

15. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

This doen't really do anything for me. I'll just wait four days. It's not like 4.0 is a big deal for my 2G Touch either. If I could get 4.0 for my iPad now, I'd get it instantly.

16. celticpride678

Because with more and more people traveling with an iPod touch, they might want to quickly disable everything that has to do with networks.

Why wouldn't they include it - actually a very useful feature on the iPod touch.

17. tucker61 macrumors regular

Just installing ios4 GM, now when setting up my ipod again in itunes, do i click restore from backup ipod, or create new ipod ? I dont really want to lose all saves in games etc !

18. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

you should do "restore from backup". Before you install 4.0, make sure you make a backup, so you can restore from that on backup. But, I would hold off on installing this GM, since there are still a few bugs in the OS, an it probably won't be the same version being released tomorrow.

19. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Upgrading from 4.0 GM to 4.0 Final

For those of us relatively lay users who've already upgraded to GM, do you (or does anyone else here) have a recommendation for how to go from 4.0 GM to 4.0 once that's available?

According to iTunes the Software Version is "4.0" so I'm guessing that checking for update will show that it's the latest version.

20. celticpride678

Use a direct download link. and do "SHIFT+UPDATE"