Get iPad or iPhone 4G for web surfing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mossme89, May 27, 2010.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I am really trying to decide whether to get an iPhone 4G or iPad. I do most of my web surfing in my bedroom on my iPhone just because it's more portable than my laptop. I probably use my iphone more than my laptop. The problem is that as an iPhone 3G, it's excruciatingly slow and it's kind of a pain with the small screen even if i can zoom in. I tried my brother's ipod touch 3g, which is better, but still mediocre for web usage. I heard that the iPhone 4G might have double the number of pixels, but would that make usage that much easier?

What would you choose if you were in my situation? The iPad or the iPhone 4G (based on the rumored features).

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

The new iPhone will have the same processor speed as the iPad (A4).

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Dont forget that the size of the iPad makes it better for web surfing. I used to find that after a while my eyes would hurt using the iPhones small screen. I could imagine being able to use the iPad for a lot longer.

4. theone09 macrumors regular

to me, get both because they are just cool :)

5. dread macrumors 6502a

Get the ipad if you plan to use it how you describe. I have a 3gs and never use it to surf the web since I got my ipad. Not because of the speed, because of the time iphone screen. The ipad is awesome for surfing the web and relaxing, especially compared to an iphone.

6. PCClone macrumors 6502a

get which ever one you want. Why would we care?

7. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Definitely, get the iPhone 4G..... because we all know for 100% sure what the specs are, so we have all the facts and can advise you! :confused:

Seriously, nobody can give a reasonable answer to this without even knowing how the 4G will perform (yes, I know, we've all seen the 'leaks', but nobody knows for certain what will be under the hood). Maybe ask us again on June 8th? ;)

8. rjenovai macrumors member

If you're going to use it that much, go for the iPad. The benefit from the larger screen size alone is worth it.

9. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

My only worry is that with the iphone 4g coming out with (supposedly) the same processor, that it'll make the ipad look just like an oversize iphone.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

this makes zero sense. if that's how you see the iPad, 3G or 4G won't change the fact.

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You pretty much answered your own question. If screen size is not an issue, than the 4G will be the best bet. Also, there are a "couple" more iPhone apps...:p than iPad apps.

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I would suggest going to the Apple store and checking out the iPad to see if you would prefer that size screen over the smaller iPhone screen for surfing the Internet. Also look at the iTunes store to see if there are apps you would like better on the bigger screen.

13. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Here's the bottom line. The iPad will definitely provide a better browsing experience. But you can't fit the iPad in your pocket and you probably won't want to take it everywhere you go. If you already own an iPhone, then maybe the iPad is a great complement. That's what I did.

If you want only one device that can go anywhere, I'm sure the G4 iPhone will have a great browsing experience. Higher rez and faster processor. It'll be great, and you will always have it with you. But the screen is still small and it won't be as good as the iPad.

So think about how you will use the device, portability, etc., and then decide.