Get iPhone on release date

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDMFSeanP, Apr 27, 2008.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

How long did people wait in line for the iphone v1 on release day? I wanna try to pick one up on release but I also don't know how the apple store in the mall would do it.

2. robhedin macrumors regular

didn't stand in line-- waited until about 8:30pm on iDay, walked into store, got in the (empty) queue, walked directly to cashier, bought 2 phones, and left. Total time in store around 5 - 7 minutes. This was in the Tampa store.

Now actually getting the darn phones activated was a different story-- took a multitude of calls and about 50-60 hours of waiting for AT&T & Apple to actually turn them on. I don't expect that will happen this time around, though.

rob.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It depends on store and location. Most AT&T stores around the country were sold out within an hour of offering the phone, but that's because they had very low quantities (many stores with under 20 phones). Most Apple stores had stock throughout the weekend however. I don't think the next iPhone will have a set date that it'll be available in stores. It'll be interesting if the next iPhone is a product with an exact day/time announcement, or if it'll be a product where it's available for pre-order immediately and shipping in 30 days. So you have no idea which day they'll pop up in a retail store. Best guess then is to wait for shipping confirmations from the online buyers then start calling local stores. Sort of like the MBA was.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most AT&T stores where out of stock also the Apple store was empty.
    Called up a few places and finally located 1 8gig iphone at an AT&T store.
    Rushed down, activated thru itunes and within 10 minutes my number was transfered and worked fine.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't have a clue where that first poster went, but that is HIGHLY unlikely (rare i should say). I went to an AT&T store, and waited 4 hours in line.

Guess what happened? I got the last phone at my store. People came just minutes after I got in line, and they didn't get phones.

I believe Apple stores got anywhere from 300-1000 iPhones depending on location. AT&T stores got about 40.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

what country are you in?

in the UK, there were barely any queues. im america, they were hours long
    depends where

7. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I waited in line...maybe 30-45 minutes....later that night there was NO wait in line. Cleveland, Ohio

8. robhedin macrumors regular

Well, as I said in my original post, I went to the Apple Tampa store (which is at International Plaza).

There were people lined up the night before, but the store had several stations set up to sell the phone (I counted around 15 or so when I was there), and it doesn't take too long to run a credit card, grab a box, stick a "lucky you" sticker on the box, and drop it in a bag.

As I recall, most Apple stores didn't start running out of stock until sometime late Saturday and Sunday. (for example, see this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322568 ).

Now the AT&T stores were a different story-- most of them ran out of stock in an hour or so.

rob.

9. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

In bellevue at the mall here the ATT store and apple store are basically just adjacent from eachother, so I think I'll be able to snag a few.

If I wanted to get three for my family could I buy two at apple then more at ATT?

Will they require credit cards?

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I waited in line about 6 hours, but I could have walked up at opening time got in line and got an iPhone. They had a lot more than people were there, but there were still 150 plus in line at my Apple Store.

11. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

yeah there were more queues for the release of leopard here in the uk!