get iPhone or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rylenolflu, Feb 16, 2008.

1. rylenolflu macrumors member

Hello everyone, just a question about purchasing an iPhone. My birthday is actually tomorrow and I am deciding between the iPhone and the at&t tilt. If I am to go iPhone, should I wait for the next revision or am I safe getting one, say, tomorrow. Anyway, thank you so much for your time.

2. Bigsam411 macrumors member

i'd say you are safe. I wouldn't expect any new iPhones for at least 6-7 months and even then the only upgrade will probably be 3g.

3. dsl4c macrumors member

there is always a new iPhone coming, you can wait and wait and wait.. or if you like the iPhone, grab one.. at least you'll get new software updates with new features for free and quite often, unlike the tilt which is.. you got what you paid for software.. I recommend getting an iphone, but do your research, the tilt might be better for your needs, same for the iPhone.

4. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Just get it. You will never know, what's going to happen tomorrow. BTW, Happy Birthday!

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

With the 16GB version just added, Apple won't release any thing "new" for at least 3-4 months.

As said before, something is always "New" around the corner.

BUY NOW!

6. eddy64 macrumors regular

I'm kind of in your same situation. My birthday is this Tuesday, but I don't know if I should wait to get the next iphone, which would probably be late this summer. I've read mixed reviews of the EDGE network, some good others bad. Can anyone give me an idea if 3G is much faster than the EDGE network? is there a noticeable difference? Is it worth the wait? I guess I could always suck it up and wait another 5 months...though it would be sweet to get an Iphone this Tuesday. Thanks for any replies :)

7. gusty987 macrumors newbie

3g is significantly faster then EDGE...roughly about 5x in the real world. For example, in my area, I avg. about 180kbps on EDGE on my iPhone versus about 800kbps on my 3G BJ2.

Now for browsing, the extra bandwidth doesn't make too much of a difference, as page loading is still limited by the phone's processing abilities. But for apps like Slingplayer or when streaming media or tethering, that's where 3g really shines.

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

As said, 3G is significantly faster, however it likely won't be coming for at least 6 months, and even still, right now there isn't any application on the iPhone that would really make good use of it.

I'd go ahead and buy now personally. Worst case scenario, you could sell your old iPhone and upgrade for probably less than $100.

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

if you want a phone and it's your birthday, just get it.

there will always be something new coming out in a couple of months.