Get iworks now or later

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vermonter16, Nov 28, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

My husband and I don't use a lot of MS Office at home but I don't want to get into a bind by not having something compatible. It seems that iworks is a pretty good application but do I really need it? I'm ordering an iMac today and I'm not sure if I should add it or not...I think it is running about $60something with my discount...worth it or not.

2. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

Have you looked at OpenOffice or NeoOffice to see if they fit your needs? They are free. I use NeoOffice and find it pretty good for basic needs.

3. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about that after doing a little searching this morning. I guess I can always order the iworks later if the other doesn't work out...

4. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

I could be wrong but I suspect the only thing you'll be missing from either of those free progs is the 'Mac' look. If you can live without it then NeoOffice really is pretty solid.

5. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know. I'll give it a shot before I shell out more $. I think I'm just getting wrapped up in the new computer buying syndrome...where I think I'll use every program known to man on the machine which is way far, far, away from what is probably more realistic....