Get macbook now with student discount, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zimpaz, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. Zimpaz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #1
    Hey folks,

    Im in the market for a new laptop and i have decided to go for a macbook.

    My dilema at the moment is...

    Do i buy now and get £100 off with my student discount, or wait for the potential case redesign/processor bump in june and miss out on discount?

    I dont desperately need it now, and i could wait, i have my desktop, but what are your thoughts?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    It's obvious you should keep waiting. ;)
     
  3. Zimpaz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #3
    but then i miss out on £100 discount cos i wont be a student anymore!
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #4
    I don't have an expiration date on my student ID and my e-mail is still active. If you go in-store that's all you'll need.

    The updated Mac laptops are well worth the wait. Did you even consider a refurbished one?
     
  5. Zimpaz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #5
    ahh, my student ID expires on June 30th, possible they could update them before then?
     
  6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #6
    Yes most likely, macworld is before then and they'll likely announce revisions :)
     
  7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #7
    But then you'll be an employed non-student and can afford the £100 price increase.
     
  8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #8

    you mean the WWDC



    to the op: you can just order online through the student store, no identification needed. Its a matter of personal ethics.

    To me, I will always be a student of life ;)
     
  9. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

    cheekybobcat

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    Location:
    U-S of A
    #9
    Definitely wait. Like gothamm said, if you really want to save that money, you can wait and order online. I don't Apple will miss the hundred pounds...
     
  10. xlosltove777 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    #10
    I would wait until after WWDC in case of an upgrade. Even if there isn't there's a good chance chance is that Apple will start running the back-to-school special in June and then you if your willing to put the $200 up you can get a free nano through a rebate.
     
  11. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #11
    WAIT! for a couple of reason

    -possible case resign
    -possible upgrades
    -buy a mac get an ipod summer deal
    -you dont need it now so why buy it now


    I think just one of those reasons are enough but they are why i am waiting till the end of june to buy a mbp
     
  12. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #12
    also, i know people who went to the apple store with an expired ID card and still got the discount
     
  13. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    #13
    Most definitely wait.

    Even if they don't update/refresh them, you could still get the iPod. Either keep it, or sell it for a nice ~$150 if you don't need it
     
  14. dino0829 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    #14
    First-gen vs. Rock solid

    Hey gang,
    I, too, am in the market for a new MacBook. (I'm one of the unlucky ones who got screwed over by Jarrod and JLI, for those of you following the drama at the "What's the Catch?" thread.) Anyway, my brother in law is a tech guy for a formally all-mac shop, and he recommends buying this last revision of the MacBooks, since they're rock-solid. He says the first-generation laptops are always rife with issues, so he wouldn't recommend buying one.
    What do you guys think? I really could use the upgrade either way, working on a maxxed-out iBook G4.
     
  15. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #15
    your brother in law brings up a great point. i would still wait because Apple has great customer service and does a great job replacing lemon computers but the edition is far from rock solid, yellow screen, ect. I would still recommend waiting because if you really want this macbook you can still get it via amazon, apple refurbished, or some other online retailer for a couple hundred less. I say wait no matter what, unless you really need it bad.
     
  16. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #16
    Further to what danvan21, any first-generation tech product does have teething problems - personally, I prefer to wait till these are sorted out before spending my cash, but not to the extent I definitely wouldn't buy a first-gen.

    Waiting for a new product is always tricky, but I think the next MB would be worth waiting for - so if you can afford to hang out a couple of months and see if anythign happens, I would.
     

Share This Page