Get me a new MBP or get the girlfriend a MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sfscott, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I have finally convinced my girlfriend to get a Mac. She's not a power user and would be more than happy with a basic MacBook.

She also said she'd be happy to take my current machine if I wanted a new one. I have a (non-unibody) MB Pro with a 2.5Ghz processor and 4GB of memory. I am very happy with it and don't need a new machine.

Anyone have an opinion on what I should do...are the new unibodies better in any way? Worse? Does your recommendation change if a new MBP is in the offing any time now?

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

sfscott,

If I were you, I'd get her a new MB. The MBPs out right now are beautifully designed and the extended battery life is enticing, but aside from an SSD hard drive option, an SD card slot (if that matters to you) and a slight bump in processor speeds, there's not much else to write home about. I'm still using my Core Duo 15" MBP (2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, upgraded 500GB HD, running 10.6) and I have no desire to purchase a new laptop until Apple decides to introduce a new feature into the line, such as USB 3.0, a Light Peak port (probably later this year if not next) or god willing a Blu-Ray option since I'm a cinephile (although I know that'll only happen when pigs fly).

The MBs out there are plenty capable and considering that your girlfriend is a first time Mac user, I'd save yourself a couple hundred $ and go with an MB, especially since your MBP seems plenty capable of what you might need it for. Also, chances are your GF won't have a need to utilize the processing power or graphics capabilities of your machine.

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

get your girlfriend a macbook...if you are happy then don't spend money on a new machine for yourself

ps-check out the refurb store...there are always great deals there and you can save $100-$150

4. itou macrumors regular

i'm in the same boat.
    i've decided to give my wife my macbook air when the new macbook pro's come out. i'll be buying one of those.