Get MMS Messaging on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monksealpup, Jun 12, 2009.

1. monksealpup macrumors regular

I figured I'd post about how to get MMS messaging to work on iPhone 3.0 for those that cannot get it to work (already mailed this to the admins).

First of all, one has to upload the hacked/custom AT&T .ipcc file (requires beta iTunes, etc.). It's up to you to obtain this stuff (...torrents?). Sometimes it works after you do this and continues working. Sometimes it works for a bit until AT&T's network detects you using MMS/tethering and turns it off for your account. If it does not work/stops working, one should call AT&T customer service and tell them your text messaging doesn't work, and ask to be put on a "standard text messaging plan" instead of an iPhone specific one (they will try to give you an iPhone specific text messaging plan, which blocks MMS). Tell them you're a developer or something and you need to test your apps with text & MMS messaging. Once that's enabled, assuming you have the proper settings in the Network portion of the Settings on the iPhone (see photos), MMS messages will work instantly. I didn't need to reboot the phone, and in fact I called 611 on the phone and as soon as the customer service agent enabled it, I was able to send an MMS to myself and receive one from her through the AT&T system. Win!

Attached Files:

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yeah, this is like the 4th thread on this, thanks though!

3. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Is this a permanent solution, or do they keep detecting you every two weeks, and you have to go through all of this again every two weeks?

4. monksealpup thread starter macrumors regular

I really have no idea, since I just did it. The customer service people said we'd get MMS at the end of July, so even if it was a two-week thing, you'd only have to do it a few times. And, you know, they wouldn't say it if it wasn't true.™

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Good thing you made this thread, we were really in need of another one.

6. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Awesome! :)

7. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Wow... 4 on MMS but I can't find any on the tethering trick.

If your interested head on over to 9to5mac.com and follow the guided instructions on 3.0 & Tethering for all- (obscene gesture to AT&T censored by Admin)

I do have to remind you all this is an "at your own risk" install. 9to5 make a valid point for those of you with moral fiber issues.

http://9to5mac.com/9to5mac-tether-iPhone-hack

8. monksealpup thread starter macrumors regular

FWIW, tethering worked for me, but only for a while, then AT&T turned it off and also disabled the menu in the iPhone. I could keep reloading the .ipcc file, I suppose, but I guess we'd just keep playing the game, or they'd cut me off...

9. hkip37 macrumors member

so you can use a non "iphone text plan" with the iphone?...

I've had an older 1000 text plan for a long time now with my old phone, and pre-ordered the 3GS the other day. When ordering, the site told me my text plan wasn't compatible with the iphone and to remove it / sign up for a compatible plan when the iphone comes in..

Wondering if it will actually work with the iphone