Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I have some video files which are MKV files and want to tag them and get artwork etc so I can watch them on my htpc with xbmc with all the info.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any software that can do this on mac. On Windows I used to do this with ember media manager but that isn't cross platform.

I can change them to mp4 and then tag them but those tags are not recognized by xbmc.

Any ideas?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
MKV files don't store tag information like mp4/m4v files. When you use Ember Media Manager it doesn't store the tag info in the mkv file, it generates a .nfo file and separate jpeg files for the artwork so your end up with something like this:-

Movie.mkv
Movie.nfo <- This file contains the tag info that XBMC reads
Poster.jpg <- The cover art
Fanart.jpg <- The fanart

As far as I know there is no program like EMM for Mac, and to be honest you don't really need one, XBMC will find all the artwork and info for your movies just fine when you import them into your library.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
MKV files don't store tag information like mp4/m4v files. When you use Ember Media Manager it doesn't store the tag info in the mkv file, it generates a .nfo file and separate jpeg files for the artwork so your end up with something like this:-

Movie.mkv
Movie.nfo <- This file contains the tag info that XBMC reads
Poster.jpg <- The cover art
Fanart.jpg <- The fanart

As far as I know there is no program like EMM for Mac, and to be honest you don't really need one, XBMC will find all the artwork and info for your movies just fine when you import them into your library.

Unfortunately the htpc with xbmc isn't connected to a network.
Wireless support for that chipset was not great when I installed the software and so I use my computer to get the info then put it on an external HD.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Have you tried asking over at the XBMC forum, I'm sure somebody must have the same wireless chipset as you.

Is a wired connection not possible? Failing that you could set up a virtual machine on your Mac to run Windows and EMM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.