Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaulGXL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I bought a Mid 2011 i7 imac 3 years ago, and from what it looks like a power surge fried most of its components (I've tried every trick I fould find on the web. It wont turn on!) Once in a while the fans will start running at full speed but thats it, no video, no sound. Nothing. Apple told me they could fix it for +$1000, they have to replace the power supply, logic board and even the back casing. you think it'd be a good idea to do this.or should i just get something new? I loved my imac :mad:

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
I think fixing ur current machine would be a HUGE mistake. I also think you were hit with Radeongate (not just a power surge). Apple knows about this, but Apple is being a douche and a half about the whole ordeal.

In any case, I'd recommend buying refurbished from the Apple website. That is the absolute best price you will get for an iMac right now, and MANY MANY people have stated Buying APPLE refurb is the same as buying new.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I bought a refurb iMac for my grandma in Mid 2007, still going strong (maxed it to 6gb of RAM). Bought a refurb iMac for my mom in Mid 2010, nothing wrong there either.

Refurbished is the way to go. Comes with standard warranty, you can and should buy AppleCare for $169 (less for students/EDU/businesses). Comes with everything in new condition except a blank white/brown box instead of a retail one (who cares?!)

Best decision you'll ever make is buying refurb.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Refurbs are great value IMO, I recently bought a current 27" iMac with a 1TB fusion drive, 16GB of RAM and got a free bump from the 2GB video card I ordered to the 4GB model, love the machine.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
I have purchased my 2013 rMBP and 2013 27" iMac from the refurb store. Both came quickly, and looked brand new to me. No complaints about either one and I saved a lot of $$$ by doing so.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.
Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
  • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
  • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
  • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
  • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
  • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
  • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
  • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
  • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
  • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
  • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Agree - Apple furbs are generally great. Purchased a few myself.

I'd be tempted to wait a week and check out the new models if possible.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I bought a refurb iMac for my grandma in Mid 2007, still going strong (maxed it to 6gb of RAM). Bought a refurb iMac for my mom in Mid 2010, nothing wrong there either.

Refurbished is the way to go. Comes with standard warranty, you can and should buy AppleCare for $169 (less for students/EDU/businesses). Comes with everything in new condition except a blank white/brown box instead of a retail one (who cares?!)

Best decision you'll ever make is buying refurb.

I got a 2012 high end bto 27" refurb. Runs better than the 3 defective 2013's i sent back before I ordered it!

Had it for a year now and no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.