Get out of iPhone plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drater, Jan 28, 2009.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

Haven't contacted ATT yet, but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I am actually moving from the boston area and to an area that has little to no ATT coverage and no 3g and just plain don't use the internet or mail anymore on it. Is there anyway to "downgrade" to a cheaper plan with a simpler phone? I know, i love my iPhone but, times are tough and I don't see the benefit of it if I'm not going to be using it. Please let me know. Thanks.

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

This is what I did. I switched my sim to a regular phone then called ATT and cancelled the data plan. My bill is now $44 instead of $80. I use the iPhone like an itouch now.

3. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Can you still update your iPhone, or if you try to update will it brick?

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure, it is very easy, you just have to lie to AT&T. Put your SIM into another phone and call Customer Care and tell them that you have changed phones and want to remove the iPhone 3G data plan. The rep will ask for the IMEI of your replacement phone and update your account with any rate plan and feature changes that you request. Make sure that you also have a data block put on your line, it is called a "WIXBLOCK".

Please note that if you remove the iPhone 3G data plan, you will loose Visual Voicemail and if you use any data without a data plan it get very expensive very quickly if you do not put a WIXBLOCK on the line.

Dave

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just make sure they don't make you pay an ETF. What you could do is move to your new location and just continue to use your iPhone like before. If you really don't have good coverage, you will be roaming most of the time. AT&T will notice that you are roaming on other networks more often than using theirs, and they will then gently cancel your contract (with no ETF or any other penalty to pay).

6. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes you can still update your iPhone. Just keep your AT&T SIM if you change carriers or drop all phone service. The updates are done using iTunes and it just needs a valid AT&T in the US. The SIM does not need to be active.

Dave