Get Power inside Xserve

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by abdyfranco, Mar 4, 2018.

1. abdyfranco macrumors regular

abdyfranco

I purchased a PCI card with 2 SATA III ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports, it works quite well, however I want to install an internal SSD using one of the SATA ports on the card, is there any mod or hack to get a power output to power the SSD?

This is the card I bought: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177

Thanks in advance..

2. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Probably depends on the model Xserve.

Are you using all the internal drive slots? How about the optical drive?

3. abdyfranco thread starter macrumors regular

abdyfranco

I have one free drive slot, I don't use the optical drive either, I have the eight core Xserve 2,1

4. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

I ran SSDs in OEM slots on a couple Xserves with no issue. Even as a boot drive. Kinda hacky to attach, but with no moving parts, nor any serious thread from vibrations, I simply plug in an SSD, was able to line up one screw, and used some tape to secure it. Never an issue for several years of use....sitting in a rack, not going anywhere. ;)

Though I have not done it...it seems like one could steal power from the optical drive. would come down to the connector, and how to break out pins...if there is no adapter readily available.

5. abdyfranco thread starter macrumors regular

abdyfranco

Yes, I had initially installed the SSD in the free slot, and it works fine, but the problem is that my SSD is able to reach almost 550 MB/s, but using the Xserve bay it reaches a maximum of 260MB/s. :(

Because the Xserve slots are SATA 2, and so to make the most of my SSD I decided to buy the above mentioned PCI-e card.

6. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Makes sense.

Anyway to route power from the bay back to the PCI card? Or....route a SATA cable up to the bay to replace the original?

7. abdyfranco thread starter macrumors regular

abdyfranco

I found this thread in the forum, Apparently it's a proprietary connector that Apple used to connect an SSD, If any one is configured in the purchase process at the Apple Store. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/make-xserve-ssd-cable.2059381/

I just opened my Xserve and it doesn't have those pins, but it does have the contacts without soldering on the PCB. So I can deduce that the Front IO cable can carry a SATA and Power connection to power an SSD. I'm gonna check with a multimeter to see if I can get power out of there.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I didn't find any pinout diagrams of that cable, not even in the Apple service manual, so I had to use a multimeter and try it out.

8. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Yep, some models had the slot for the special/little boot SSD....it was a 1.8" drive as I recall.

I was wondering if you could route a long SATA from the PCI card to the front bay...and use the power in the front bay...so no soldering or other higher risk mods.

Or...would it be possible to pull the OEM SATA cable for the free bay off the LB plug, and then use a SATA extension cable to plug into the PCI card? That way you could use the native SATA+power plug in the bay for the SSD, and reroute where the data goes. No real mods...just redirecting the data cable.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ta_extension_cable-_-9SIAEGB69N9214-_-Product