Get ready;get set; should i go??

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by tibas92013, Mar 22, 2015.

1. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Mini(MM) Basic Late 2012, i5, 500GB HD in which I recently upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 16GB. The MAC Mini is on OSX 10.8.5(Mountain Lion).

To prepare for this upgrade I have "Cloned" my MM System using "Carbon Copy Cloner".

I am thinking that I should also upgrade the HD to either a internal or external SSD before moving-on to "Yosemite"??

The reason I want to upgrade to OSX 10.10(Yosemite) is that I cannot upgrade iwork "Pages" without doing this upgrade. Other than that "Mountain Lion" continues to run A-OK.

Your suggestions will be appreciated on "what-else-to-do" before doing this next upgrade?

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

What is it that you find Pages on Yosemite can do and your current Pages cannot...?

3. tibas92013, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing really; just want the latest and greatest and OS "Mountain Lion" is getting on in years. I bought this Refurbished MM loaded with "Mountain Lion" from the Apple Store back in August, 2013. I decided to pass on upgrading to OS "Mavericks" due to the many mixed reviews. From my many readings on this Forum it appears that OS "Yosemite" is "in-the-same-boat" as to mixed reviews!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just a word of caution before you take the plunge to either Mavericks or Yosemite:

After using ML, you may find the speeds of both of the above OS's "less than pleasing" when running from a platter-based HDD.

An upgrade to an SSD (either internal or external) would make a BIG difference...

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This is a good point. My 27" 2010 iMac with a 7200 RPM HDD runs just a tad sluggish on Yosemite, enough that I would have already upgraded to an SSD were it my primary machine.