Get replacement after 1/27 event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. ariesfeng macrumors member

    Apr 7, 2008
    Hey guys! Apple is going to offer me a replacement for my late 08 Macbook Pro due to a display issue (The computer still works). I just received my return shipping label and they ask me to send the old machine back before they set up an order for the new one. I am considering to wait until the updated Macbook Pro becomes available. The return shipping label expires on 2/7 and my warranty expires 3/10.

    My question: Can I simply ignore the return shipping label and keep the old machine until they have the new one available and ask them to issue a new replacement request for me?

  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    No, you probably are going to have to wait to ship it back until they are in stock.
  3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus


    Mar 7, 2007
    They will probably replace it with the same model you have, or a mid-2009 MBP, not the newest one.
  4. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2009
  5. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    on a related note how soon after the announcement and when arrandale mbp's are available should i call customer service and request a replacement to likely ensure i'll get a new model instead of 2009, would you think ?
  6. jpma macrumors 6502

    May 31, 2009
    i'm pretty sure you'll get the latest model closest to your spec.
    because I just got mine replaced with the high spec 15''
  7. amorcito macrumors regular

    Jan 12, 2010
    I'm stuck in the same boat as u, sorta.. My macbook pro has been deemed replaceable for the new MBP 17". I have not had my shipping label printed or anything yet. I was told from a 3rd party repair center that there's only a certain window of time to do this replacement process. I would love to wait and see what happens on the 27th, to be honest.

    Can anyone else who has been in a similar situation as the original poster, and myself, care to share some experience/advice. I'm stuck between waiting, and hoping I can get my replacement if I wait, or just getting my 17" now, and hoping I won't be too sad when the 17" are released and have Blueray added, and good speed bumps.

    I do appreciate all the info everyone posts. I've been a regular reader on here forever.

    Ariesfeng: Please keep us updated on what you decide, and what has happened.. It's not like we can just say to Apple.. "hey, we'll wait till the 27th to see what goodies you're having" .. anyhow.. Wish us luck people..
  8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    Good luck with that.
  9. amorcito macrumors regular

    Jan 12, 2010
    One can dream =)
  10. rickeames macrumors regular

    Mar 12, 2008
    My number 1 ask is that they up the resolution on the 15" screen. My Sony Z has 1600x900, so it doesn't seem like that big of an ask to make a 15" have higher res.
  11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
    older models won't just disappear on the 27th. You'll still get a refurbished one. At best a newer model than yours but not the newest. Your best bet is to return it now and hope that the next one is bad too. The more times you return it the more likely it is you'll get a "new" one. By then it should be the updated model :D
  12. LastZion macrumors 6502a

    Apr 13, 2006
    Sorry to say to OP, but i think this will be the case. They got to move the old ones and the two of you will more than likely get the refurbs.
  13. Habitus macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2009
    Where ever my life takes me...
    They will replace your Mac with the one you already have. However, there is no harm in waiting to see if they replace it with a updated (if it even happens) Mac.

    Habitus :apple:
  14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601


    Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Chances are you'll end up with the same replacement rather than a newer or updated version. Apple has a lot of reserves or refurbished ones.
  15. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    How sure are you about this? I know it's the case with iPods but I thought they always give you new laptops as replacements...
  16. LastZion macrumors 6502a

    Apr 13, 2006
    I guess if you bought new, you could argue you deserve a "new" laptop not a refurb...
  17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Aug 2, 2008
    And they could argue that you brought a used to them and you get a used back ;)

    On topic:
    Apple will still have refurbs of the current generation and new of the current, they will send out these way before sending the updated ones. So you would most likely have to wait a month or so after they started selling the new ones before you can be sure.
  18. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks guys! I just decided to not wait until the 1/27 event. I will have my old machine shipped out next monday and hopefully I can get the new one back by next Friday.

  19. tcphoto macrumors 6502a


    Feb 23, 2005
    Madison, GA
    I have had a MBP replaced for multiple issues. The Applecare rep told me they are required to replace it with a "new" machine, not refurbished. If you think that an update is looming, I would wait till a few days before the shipping label expires. No one on this forum knows when Apple will release a new product. You will find nothing but educated guesses at best. I received a new MBP as a replacement and the update was announced ten days later. I packed the new one and my local Apple Store exchanged it for the unibody. Yes, I got lucky but it's like trying to guess tonight's lottery numbers.
  20. amorcito macrumors regular

    Jan 12, 2010
    I too just went ahead with processing for my replacement today. I don't want to sit around waiting for nothing, and then end up getting this one anyway. Secondly, there's always issues when apple refreshes things.. Remember the moo sound being made? They then released a fix for that.. but those annoying glitches that come on refreshes...

    I've never bought refurb from apple, always new items. In my experience, all things that I have ever gotten replaced have been with new items.
  21. amorcito macrumors regular

    Jan 12, 2010
    Wow! So let me see if I understood that correctly... You got your old machine replaced, you opened it.. used it... 10 days later the unibodies came out.. and you went to a local store, and they exchanged it?! That's beautiful!! Did you have to pay a difference in pricing? Did you raise hell and have a manager authorize the exchange?, or was it something that the people at the genius were willing to do without a fight?

    I didn't know that I had that option. I wonder if they still offer that option. I'll have to hold off on opening the box when it arrives, and ring up the support individual who is in charge of handling my replacement and ask. I can't ask now, as nothing has been released, nor is anyone supposed to know if anything will be released. The mystery keeps everyone coming back to apple.. the Ooo's and Awww's... What a company. I never bothered to care what any of the PC manufactures had hidden under their sleeves.... Only apple!
  22. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

    May 2, 2008
    I highly doubt they will replace it with a new one. They have thousands of the old one that they will need to get rid of, so they will send you a similar replacement. Now, if it was 6 months or a year after launch and they had exhausted the stock of the previous models, then I'm sure they would definitely upgrade you, but not right around launch time, as they will have a boatload of old inventory to clear out.
  23. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2009
    I had a 2.8GHz 15" 2008 MBP customized to order. I had a whole list of troubles with it and made 13 trips to the apple store for it. I'm not a picky mac user like some people you see on here, but the defects were too ridiculous to let pass.

    When I finally talked to customer relations on the phone, they understood and helped me replace my computer.

    The funny thing is, though. They no longer made 2.8GHz 15" MBPs, so I got upgraded to a 2.93GHz 15" MBP. They didn't really give me any other options, like taking a low end 17" and paying or being reimbursed for the difference. I wasn't complaining and I'm still not.

    I love my new MacBook Pro and I'm glad I got the fastest revision with a user replaceable battery and Express34 slot, both of which make me dislike the newest MBPs.

    What I'm saying is tell apple you absolutely must have your 'defective' computer for a little while longer. Let them know that you see the shipping ticket is good until 2/7 and it would be appreciated to be allowed to ship it then.

    Although, I'm not sure it'll work for you because I had a customized computer which required replacement with a customized computer. Still possible, though and good luck.
  24. amorcito macrumors regular

    Jan 12, 2010
    I'll hold out as long as I can. I was only upgraded from 15" to 17" because I require the Express card slot. If the express card slot was still in the 15", then I would be getting a 15". I'm still using this defective one at the moment, and its problems continue to trouble me. I'll be shipping this out in the next few days, after some long thought... I do agree though, apple does have lots of stock of the current models and I too find it hard to believe that they would just give up the new one, for replacement.. sounds too good to be true. If I do decide to wait with that shipping tag, I'll update everyone on what happens..

Share This Page