get rid of a program resident in memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aardenon, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aardenon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with GoogleUpdateInstaller. I tried to install Picasa, but the install failed. Now once in a while I get a popup to allow GoogleUpdateInstaller to make changes, if I confirm, the installer fails/hangs again, if I refuse the same window will popup again in a while.

So the whole Picasa installation fails and a window keeps popuping up trying to install the Updater.

How can I now get rid of this installer. It doesn't appear in the dock as a separate app, it doesn't appear among apps when I Cmd+Tab through them. It is somehow resident in memory and keeps popping up. Is there something like a TaskManager in Windows so that I can kill a process? Or maybe it is written in some config file, to popup every once in a while? I keeps on happening after restart too. How can I get rid of it?

Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    PR.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

The equivalent to Task Manager is Activity Monitor, which you can find in Applications/Utilities.

Highlighting the process and asking to Inspect it should give you some clues as to where it lives when it's not annoying you.

3. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

To stop it from starting up each time you log in too

System Prefs > Accounts > User > Login Items

remove it from the list there.

4. Aardenon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. Now in the activity monitor I found Google Updater Helper process which I killed, we'll see if it's the annoying popup. But in the startup items (System Preferences > Accounts > User > Login items) I still have Google Updater Helper but disabled - gray and not checked, I can't delete it. Any cure for that?

Cheers,
    PR.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Have you tried selecting it and pressing the minus button?

6. Aardenon thread starter macrumors newbie

The minus is disabled - gray as well (on that item). Is it possible to hack into some file or something where this config is kept?

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

check the padlock on the screen, make sure it's not locked

8. Aardenon thread starter macrumors newbie