get rid of itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kavade, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kavade macrumors newbie

folks, forgive my ignorance, but would mediamonkey allow me to avoid using itunes on my apple air? I have music from my old pc, and on my ipod, and on
    my macbook pro. I tried to move the music I BOUGHT at the itunes store from the macbook pro I had BOUGHT, to the MacBook Air I just BOUGHT and it hassles me about authorizations. I'm fed up with itunes and the itunes store.
    I'd like to have one player that will allow me to have both pc and mac music ,
    and I want to start using Amazon - or someone else, anyone else - for audio downloads.

Thanks for your patience and help.

K.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just authorize your Mac (through iTunes) to play the older DRM tunes. What's the big deal?

Attached Files:

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

That and good luck finding an easier and more convenient online music service for the mac.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

burn all the DRM'd music to a CD then re rip it and all the crap DRM will be gone may take a while but it is worth it.

and itunes is a rip off for music, screw if it's slightly more easier I'm not a chump that will be ripped off for something I can get cheaper somewhere else.
    no itunes is only good for apps and podcasts, music is cheaper from amazon/7digital or even on CD!!, tv and movies are cheaper if you buy them on DVD or bluray and with these ways your not stuck in some crap DRM mess

and if you use the amazon installer it adds it to itunes for you here cant get easier than that

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

just looked top album on itunes: eminem - recovery

$9.49 on amazon with a free video and digital booklet

$11.99 on itunes only with the booklet

or $14.99 for the deluxe version which has booklet and 3 more songs

individual songs are 99c on amazon and $1.29 on itunes

people who bought on itunes = ripped off, plain and simple

6. kavade thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a big deal, though I'm not sure why. I tried authorizing and it doesn't work.

So Itunes doesn't do the DRM stuff anymore?

So, I cut a CD?

Thanks for the assist.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

All new music on iTunes is now DRM-free. Most of the other things sold in the store (movies, books, apps) continue to use the Fairplay DRM. Unless you pay to upgrade it, all your old DRM music remains DRM'd (I'm happy the DRM is gone, but I don't see what the big deal about authorizing the Mac once is, though).

Although I also have to say, Amazon's applet to import songs into iTunes is great, and probably 75-90% of my digital music purchases have been from Amazon in the past couple of years.

8. iMac0765 macrumors regular

Too bad Amazon doesn't offer "Store Credit" cards for people who don't and can't have credit cards yet. Another downside is that it's US only. Like, WTF? Canada not important enough for you? Those are the two downsides which are preventing me from purchasing from Amazon.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they do...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/gc

On the right side, there's an advertisement specifically promoting parents buying them for their teens to use to buy from the MP3 store, so I would assume it works for that purpose....

(Can't help you on the Canada front... they said they would roll out globally in 2008, and then AFAIK they never did nor explained why not.)

10. iMac0765 macrumors regular

Thanks for that, but what I meant was retail cards. Like they can be bought with pocket money by a teen by him or herself.

iTunes cards are so wide-spread, they are at Wal-Mart, No-Frills, Shoppers and many more. Amazon is all web-based, and old fashioned parents don't buy from the internet.

11. kavade thread starter macrumors newbie

Bearing in mind the above response about Amazon and Canada, could my problem with authorization be that I am now located in Japan? If so, what do I do? Using the Japanese site is not on. I can't read Japanese kanji, and the iTunes Japan English is ...not really English.

It's a pain in the neck for a broad to live abroad, I'm telling ya.

12. Kieranic Guest

Music's been DRM free since Mid-2008. I thought most music that was DRM'd would be... De-DRM'd by now :p

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I lived in Austria for a while and couldn't use my UK account to download music from amazon :)mad:) but thankfully could use iTunes UK without any problems (about the only time in the past 3 years that I have used iTunes). Anyway, if you're on your native store you should be fine and authorisation shouldn't depend on what store you're in :confused:

You have to pay to de-DRM old iTunes tracks.

14. androiphone macrumors 65816

not true apple want you to pay so thats the only way they tell you can do it,
    but you can burn all your DRM'd tracks to an audio CD, then just rip that CD back into your computer (using itunes or any other ripping software) then all your tracks are now DRM free, if you use itunes it (not 100% sure with others) but it will even name them all for you.

I did it to all my itunes stuff years ago, and now I can use them anywhere, on any mp3 player.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have found that Amazon is getting to be just as bad if not worse. I have found some songs on Amazon to be $1.99 when the same songs on iTunes were $1.29. Amazon isn't that cheap anymore.

16. Xavier macrumors 68020

I did this as well, and got ride of all my AAC audio for high quality mp3.

17. padapada macrumors regular

If available in your country: spotify.com

I really enjoy it :)