Get rid of my MBP for an iMac? Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juliancs, Nov 3, 2009.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2006
    I've recently bought a bunch of Eastwest samples, and I'm getting overload errors in logic, with pretty light projects.

I have a 2.9ghz MBP, 4GB ram, 17". I was looking at the 27" imac today, and I can get the i7+8GB for a little more than I reckon I can sell my MBP for. Is the difference going to be huge? I'm not a fan of losing portability, but such is life...How future proof is the imac? A Mac pro would be better but just too expensive.
    I wish the screen wasn't 27"! Nice but very big on a desk. Is it possible to change aspects of the iMac? Such as the Harddrive/graphics card? I'm talking DIY
  2. lca355 macrumors member

Mar 23, 2009
    I think it might be harder for you to sell that MBP than you think, what with the next upgrade looming in jan/feb. I would try to do it before then if you go that route. According to apple site, the 2.8GHZ I7 is 2.4X faster than the 3.06GHZ Core 2 Duo. I think you can change the hard drive, but not for the faint of heart. I don't think you'd be able to upgrade the graphics card at all.