Get rid of the home button.

generalsmart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
It's time to get rid of the home button. It just takes up too much space.

They can figure out a way to integrate fingerprint scanning into the screen, or put it on the back.

You can integrate all the home button's features into the touch screen. If you need a physical button for reset, use the power button.

Get rid of the home button and you can make the phone surface area smaller.

macmacguy

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I thought about this idea too, that way you can have screen from absolute top to absolute bottom.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
The beautiful iconic and very distinguishing iPhone bezels including the home button with one of a kind innovative and flawless security feature makes the iPhone the iPhone, a stunning standout.

Go away, haters and get those ugly and tacky, front-branded look-alikes.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Touch ID is a killer. Bezels give a sense of symmetry. Love bezels, be it left right or top bottom. No bezels is like hanging a photo on a wall without a frame.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
It would save so much space but will never happen. iPhone circle button is iconic.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Nothing wrong with a redesign and Apple is known for its innovation. While the bezels may be considered iconic I don't see why Apple wouldn't go with something they thought would be cooler, thinking outside the box.

Just like those that were saying Apple would never come out with a larger iPhone I believe Apple will continue to change and hopefully pleasantly surprise us all. :)

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Savannah, GA
Nothing wrong with a redesign and Apple is known for its innovation. While the bezels may be considered iconic I don't see why Apple wouldn't go with something they thought would be cooler, thinking outside the box.

Just like those that were saying Apple would never come out with a larger iPhone I believe Apple will continue to change and hopefully pleasantly surprise us all. :)
I think it will be some time. TouchID is a big selling point for the iPhone right now and it works great. To just ditch it as they tie it to Apple Pay wouldn't make sense.

imnjs

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
I think it will be some time. TouchID is a big selling point for the iPhone right now and it works great. To just ditch it as they tie it to Apple Pay wouldn't make sense.
+1. TouchID is just too nice of a feature. I didn't get to enjoy it on the 5S but now that I see how it works on my 6 I would never want a feature like that to go away. The button has always just felt right.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I really don't understand the "get rid of the home button" thing. I don't understand the bezel thing either.

I look at "most" flagship androids and I see a button And I see bezels as well... Sure they're not as big, but they are there.

The iPhone home button is iconic and without it ... It's just a phone not an iPhone

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Alot of people seem to believe TouchID will require the use of the circular home button for many years.

Truth is, Apple has many patents on and is working on integrating technologies directly into the screen layer itself, including TouchID, speaker, camera sensor (for FaceTime, etc.) and solar charging (most unlikely.)

That is what I call innovation if they can pull it off. :) Imagine how clean the front of the phone would be if everything is right in the screen using the above mentioned technologies.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The problem with the OP's thinking is he/she is only thinking as a techy would. The whole point of the home button is an easy and safe way to get back to the home screen when a user gets confused or just wants a quick way to get back to the desktop.
If we have to start using a touch screen to perform this same function it can be complicated for many non-techy users.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't mind seeing the home button disappear physically, to be replaced with a Force Touch home button. Put the Touch ID behind the display and nothings lost. I'm sure Apple would incorporate some type of ghost ring animation as well.

I'd like to see some bezel stay. Symmetry Isaac a must, top to bottom, left to right.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

They can figure out a way to integrate fingerprint scanning into the screen, or put it on the back.

You can integrate all the home button's features into the touch screen. If you need a physical button for reset, use the power button.

Luckily for all us, people like you will never have any part of these decisions.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm sure it'll go away come iPhone 7. They need a way to have TouchID on the phone and have it work as well as it does without it. I'm sure they have ideas and ways to do it already.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
If Touch ID could be integrated into the screen there might be an argument for it, but the bezels actually do serve a purpose. In my opinion the device would be a lot harder to use without them. Besides, they hold a lot more than the Touch ID button and are large enough to hold additional non-screen features in the future if Apple needs to add them.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Apple already has patents for a Touch ID like sensor living under a touch screen. The home button will definitely not stay forever. Neither will the huge bezels. Doubt we will see the home button go away with the iPhone 7, I think we are further away than that.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Put scanner on the side below volume buttons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.