Get rid of the home button.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by generalsmart, Sep 27, 2014.

1. generalsmart macrumors regular

It's time to get rid of the home button. It just takes up too much space.

They can figure out a way to integrate fingerprint scanning into the screen, or put it on the back.

You can integrate all the home button's features into the touch screen. If you need a physical button for reset, use the power button.

Get rid of the home button and you can make the phone surface area smaller.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

3. macmacguy macrumors regular

I thought about this idea too, that way you can have screen from absolute top to absolute bottom.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Love the security of the fingerprint reader so I like the home button.

5. cleirac macrumors 6502

The beautiful iconic and very distinguishing iPhone bezels including the home button with one of a kind innovative and flawless security feature makes the iPhone the iPhone, a stunning standout.

Go away, haters and get those ugly and tacky, front-branded look-alikes.

6. Skika macrumors 68030

Its not.

7. deviant macrumors 65816

Touch ID is a killer. Bezels give a sense of symmetry. Love bezels, be it left right or top bottom. No bezels is like hanging a photo on a wall without a frame.

8. uchosen macrumors 6502

It would save so much space but will never happen. iPhone circle button is iconic.

9. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Nothing wrong with a redesign and Apple is known for its innovation. While the bezels may be considered iconic I don't see why Apple wouldn't go with something they thought would be cooler, thinking outside the box.

Just like those that were saying Apple would never come out with a larger iPhone I believe Apple will continue to change and hopefully pleasantly surprise us all. :)

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I think it will be some time. TouchID is a big selling point for the iPhone right now and it works great. To just ditch it as they tie it to Apple Pay wouldn't make sense.

11. imnjs macrumors member

imnjs

+1. TouchID is just too nice of a feature. I didn't get to enjoy it on the 5S but now that I see how it works on my 6 I would never want a feature like that to go away. The button has always just felt right.

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I really don't understand the "get rid of the home button" thing. I don't understand the bezel thing either.

I look at "most" flagship androids and I see a button And I see bezels as well... Sure they're not as big, but they are there.

The iPhone home button is iconic and without it ... It's just a phone not an iPhone

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Alot of people seem to believe TouchID will require the use of the circular home button for many years.

Truth is, Apple has many patents on and is working on integrating technologies directly into the screen layer itself, including TouchID, speaker, camera sensor (for FaceTime, etc.) and solar charging (most unlikely.)

That is what I call innovation if they can pull it off. :) Imagine how clean the front of the phone would be if everything is right in the screen using the above mentioned technologies.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

The problem with the OP's thinking is he/she is only thinking as a techy would. The whole point of the home button is an easy and safe way to get back to the home screen when a user gets confused or just wants a quick way to get back to the desktop.
    If we have to start using a touch screen to perform this same function it can be complicated for many non-techy users.

15. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind seeing the home button disappear physically, to be replaced with a Force Touch home button. Put the Touch ID behind the display and nothings lost. I'm sure Apple would incorporate some type of ghost ring animation as well.

I'd like to see some bezel stay. Symmetry Isaac a must, top to bottom, left to right.

16. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Luckily for all us, people like you will never have any part of these decisions.

17. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I agree 100% and think that Apple will retire the home button in 2016, with the launch of the i7.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Love the home button hope they never get rid of it.

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I'm sure it'll go away come iPhone 7. They need a way to have TouchID on the phone and have it work as well as it does without it. I'm sure they have ideas and ways to do it already.

20. booksbooks macrumors 6502

I agree to ditch the home button and dump the big ugly bezels.

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

If Touch ID could be integrated into the screen there might be an argument for it, but the bezels actually do serve a purpose. In my opinion the device would be a lot harder to use without them. Besides, they hold a lot more than the Touch ID button and are large enough to hold additional non-screen features in the future if Apple needs to add them.

22. strausd macrumors 68030

Apple already has patents for a Touch ID like sensor living under a touch screen. The home button will definitely not stay forever. Neither will the huge bezels. Doubt we will see the home button go away with the iPhone 7, I think we are further away than that.

23. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Put scanner on the side below volume buttons

24. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The "home button" has become such an icon, they will never get rid of it.

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Would never say never. Click wheel wasn't suppose to go away.