Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung this weekend has the 27-inch ViewFinity S9 5K Smart Monitor at a steep discount, available for $899.99, down from $1,599.99. In addition to this $700 discount, you'll find deals on 4K and 5K Samsung monitors in Samsung's new sale, including the Smart Monitor M8, as well as storage, audio, TVs, smartphones, and home appliances.

samsung-viewfinity-blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Overall, the ViewFinity S9 5K Smart Monitor is at a very solid second-best price this weekend, just $50 higher compared to the previous record low price. This monitor has a matte display, modular 4K SlimFit camera, and support for Thunderbolt 4.

Samsung's 27-inch Smart Monitor M8 is also being discounted during this sale, available for $399.99 in Warm White, down from $699.99. This is a 4K smart monitor with a design that looks similar to the new iMac line, and it's at another great second-best price during Samsung's monitor sale.

samsung-blue.jpg

Additionally, when you sign up to learn more about Samsung's upcoming TV and audio product lineup, you can get $100 off your purchase. The new slate of Samsung TVs and audio equipment is set to be unveiled on March 21, and this $100 discount offer will be available through that date.

Monitors

TVs/Audio

Be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Get Samsung's ViewFinity S9 5K Smart Monitor With Steep $700 Discount, Plus More Display Deals

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
The article lists the M8 at 27", but it's 32".

I have an M8 on my desk, and it's fine. For the money, it's great. I can buy 4 of these for the price of an Apple Studio Display.

Reactions: mjs916

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Tough to keep passing on it at this price... must resist. I appreciate the sales but once you are knocking on the door of 50% off it might be time to adjust your MSRP.
Samsung does this sort of thing all the time with all kinds of products. The Q990 is a great example. It's a strategy that works OK.

JWSpaceMan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2015
For all my criticisms of the Apple Studio Display (and they are many), no one understands design like Apple. Their products (this is the legacy and influence of Jony + Steve, I believe) exhibit intentionality in every feature.

This thing from Samsung looks like they didn't understand the assignment and didn't have a clear view of their neighbor's paper either.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Samsung must really be struggling to sell these things
I'd imagine the market for $1500 27" 5K panels is fairly limited, otherwise we'd see a lot more options out there. Windows handles fractional scaling better than macOS (at the cost of less consistency across the OS) so most Windows users are content with the wide selection of much less expensive 27" 4K panels. It's primarily Mac users willing to pay a premium for true 2x QHD scaling on 5K because of the way Apple chose to implement fractional scaling in macOS. Samsung could never compete against a first-party Apple hardware option among Apple loyalists unless it was at a deep, deep discount.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pretty sure the 5k Samsung has been 899 for weeks and weeks at Best Buy and has open boxes for less than 800.

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
I got it down to $700 ($762 after tax) with the Samsung Edu discount. I also picked one up at Best Buy because I was excited to test it and wanted to try a hand at having one at home and at work for the price of a single studio display. I haven't had a 5K display since I got rid of my 2020 Intel 5K iMac in 2021. Both ViewFinity's had terrible light bleed on the bottom and top of each display. I have to say, so many IPS monitors are like this, except Apple's laminated glass displays. They never had light bleed and I have had several 4/5K iMacs. From what I have seen, Studio Display is built similarly and so in my eyes has come to justify *a* premium but not the one it asks for. But, there is no risk of light bleeding, it's just built right from the start. Luckily the TizenOS was snappy, but it and the remote are still an inconvenience compared to a normal monitor. It looked great, just not like I remembered my 5K iMac with its beautiful glass cover. There was a level of clarity I missed which I shouldn't feel when looking at a 5K panel. Still quite bright and colorful. My two LG Ultrafine 4K's for $250 a piece felt like excessively better value despite looking just a touch duller and they don't have light bleed, so the ViewFinitys have been returned. I am also leery of buying these when Apple must be figuring an update for either the Pro Display or Studio Display sometime soon. I rather go big with Studio Display on discount, or whatever is next for the Pro (6k MiniLED @ 120hz, pls?), and stick with dual 4K/60hz for the time being.

Funky_Alphonzo

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2018
Belgium
I'd imagine the market for $1500 27" 5K panels is fairly limited, otherwise we'd see a lot more options out there. Windows handles fractional scaling better than macOS (at the cost of less consistency across the OS) so most Windows users are content with the wide selection of much less expensive 27" 4K panels. It's primarily Mac users willing to pay a premium for true 2x QHD scaling on 5K because of the way Apple chose to implement fractional scaling in macOS. Samsung could never compete against a first-party Apple hardware option among Apple loyalists unless it was at a deep, deep discount.
I think the scaling issues are a bit exagerated. The scaling of my macbook at home with two 27 inch 4k displays looks a lot better than the same panels with the Z8 at work.
But that’s just my subjective observation. 🙂

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
For all my criticisms of the Apple Studio Display (and they are many), no one understands design like Apple. Their products (this is the legacy and influence of Jony + Steve, I believe) exhibit intentionality in every feature.

This thing from Samsung looks like they didn't understand the assignment and didn't have a clear view of their neighbor's paper either.
I know what you mean with intentionality in every feature.

1710614891503.jpeg

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2022
I kinda feel bad for anybody who bought that S9 at full price at launch date, would rather go with the Studio Display at that point. $900 seems tempting but meh... the reviews have kinda soured me on that.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Can you really say there are intentional issues and then complement Apple on design.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Can you really say there are intentional issues and then complement Apple on design.
He said the design exhibits "intentionality in every feature," not that there are intentional issues. The point, I think, was that Apple's Studio Display is an excellent example of purpose-built design.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
No, they do this with everything they sell. TVs, monitors, speakers, washers and dryers, refridgerators; a few months after release they sell them online for massive savings.
When production is starting and supplies are limited full initial price is charged.
As supply ramps up prices are adjusted to supply and demand profit targets.
They're making less profit per sku but selling more skus for similar profitability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.