Get Sidebar Icons to match custom icons?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Shawzborne, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Hi,

I want to use my icon on the right to match the one on the left in the sidebar.

[​IMG]

I have already tried dragging the downloads folder out and re-adding it which didn't work.

Any ideas?

Shawn

2. Shawzborne, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

Shawzborne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

the icons are located here I found out but haven't been able to change them yet any ideas?

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

its the ones that start with sidebar

also when I changed my ssd icon on the desktop it updated the sidebar icon no problem but the downloads folder still wont change

EDIT: I realized that this is the location of the Black monochrome icons not the bright colourful ones I will have to figure out where the colorful ones are stored

3. xspicer89x macrumors member

hey, so im pretty sure that you can't change most of the stock icons in the finder tab (ex, applications, downloads, movies, pictures, etc). However, looks like you already have colourful sidebar or sideeffects running, so what you can do is simply make a folder within each folder and customize the icon, then drag that to the sidebar (ex, open the normal downloads folder, create a folder within it called "my downloads", set a custom icon for that, and then drag that folder to the sidebar). only thing is youll have to change your download location. I use this mostly with seperate folders for my documents (the ones im actually using this year).

Attached Files:

4. randomdude macrumors regular

hey, could you please explain how you got the Thesis Docs and 4th year docs to have custom icons in the sidebar. I have my university folder which has a custom finder folder icon (below), but can't figure out how to use a custom sidebar icon for it.
    I don't want to change any of the other sidebar icons though, as I like them the way they are.
    I want to create a sidebar icon which would just be the logo.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. xspicer89x, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

xspicer89x macrumors member

I dont know if its possible to change ONLY 1 sidebar folder icon (though you may want to try and checkout candybar and see if its compatible with mavericks yet and is capable of doing this, but i dont use it so i couldnt say for sure. Also I believe liteicon released a beta version compatible with mavericks, so you might also want to check that out). I do know that since your university folder is just another "generic folder" to the OS, you cant change the "genericfoldericon.icns" in the coretypesbundle (where other system icons are located) without having all of your generic folders change. Thats why i use the sideeffects plug-in..it does turn all of your sidebar icons into a coloured version, but thats a small price to pay if your wanting to add folders to the sidebar and have their custom icon display properly. I havnt run into any issues so far using this plug-in (ex no finder crashes ever)

check out my post #63 on this thread for a more detailed explanation of customizing the sidebar folder icons http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1625563&page=3 (though you can probably skip the first paragraph since it concerns the dock)