Get SSD now or wait for MBP upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daemonza, May 8, 2012.

  1. daemonza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #1
    Hi

    I have a early 2011 MBP. Was wondering what would be the best move to do now, up my memory to 8gig and get a SSD now for my current MBP, or save the cash and wait for the new MBP, that will hopefully come out still this year.

    If I go new MBP route, I reckon I can get a good price for my stock MBP, not sure if people would be as eager to buy a modded one.
     
  2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

    sweetbrat

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Redford, MI
    #2
    I would think adding more RAM (assuming you're using up what you currently have installed) and adding an SSD will be much more bang for less buck than buying a new machine. The early 2011 MBPs are still very capable machines. If you're running low on RAM, that alone will help things run much more smoothly, and the SSD will help things seem much speedier.

    Selling your current one after you make the upgrades shouldn't be a problem, but you could put the old RAM and HDD back into the 2011 MBP and sell it as stock, putting the RAM upgrade and SSD into the new machine.
     
  3. daemonza thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #3
    Well that's the thing, cost of ram + SSD vs the difference I would pay from the cash I get for my current mbp to the price of the new one.

    Also if the new mbp comes with ssd, the ssd I bought now will not really be used
     
  4. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #4
    I'd spend some cash upgrading to 8gb or 16gb (its cheap) and get a seagate hybrid 750gb drive.

    You'll have plenty of storage and near SSD performance.
     
  5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #5
    if your going to buy the nex mbp regardless than dont wast money upgrading this one, you really wont be able to sell if for that much more with upgrades vs stock.
     
  6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

    sweetbrat

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Redford, MI
    #6
    If the new one has an SSD...no one knows for sure. You can get 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for around $300 total right now if you look around. I can't imagine that a new MBP with similar stats would come out to $300 + the amount you'd get by selling your current machine, but without knowing exactly what you have we can't check prices to see what they're currently selling for; nor do we know what pricing will be on the new releases.

    If it was me, as long as the current machine was meeting my needs, I would just upgrade it...unless there's some substantial reason why you feel you need a new one. If you're hoping that there will be a redesign (hoping for a thinner, lighter form factor, perhaps), then wait until the new ones are released and decide then. That's a decision only you can make.
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    I doubt the new one would default with an SSD. The MacBook Pro isn't exactly Apple's super portable line, so some extras like plentiful storage is still expected. The only economic entry would be the use of traditional spindle magnetic storage.

    The RAM upgrade is very cheap these days. The SSD can be migrated to whatever computer you buy next.

    Anyways, you will suffer a loss from trading up to a newer machine. This difference may or may not be greater than the difference of buying additional RAM and an SSD right now for your current machine.

    That said, I feel the 2011 models for are very good machines (I think for the first time, I might skip a refresh).
     

Share This Page