Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMember09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
Turkey
I am an Android user (Galaxy S4), since 5S I've been considering switching to iPhone but 5S lacked a big screen, I like the screen size of my current phone and 4'' was too small for me but since the ''6 versions'' have a 4.7'' display and it's perfect for me. So I want to switch to iPhone due it's features seems more relevant to me, my phone is getting slower, it's metal bars started to peel-off and I got a MacBook Pro. ''S'' versions have always been the ''true iPhones'' for me, so I waited until 6S but some people here have said that they'll wait the 7. So should I get the 6S or wait for the 7? Note that it will be my first iPhone.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Go for the 6s and experience whatever Apple has to offer. After that, a year will pass by and you'll get to further enjoy the new features and updates for the iPhone 7. That way, you can enjoy two phones instead of going for the 7, and then up to the 7s. Also, you can decide if you even want to upgrade to the 7 once it's released a year from now.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Hello iMember09 the 6S actually feels like a pretty big update, as big as an update could be when it's the same form factor as the 6. The 3D Touch, processor, and live photos are all pretty cool, new features.

Some have speculated that the iPhone 7 may be more about making it crazy thin with fewer new features. It's up to you, but the 6S at least on paper, looks to be a great phone.

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Used a 6 for 11 months and was very happy with it. Could have easily kept going with it for another 12 months. The thought of there being a more superior iphone out there would have killed me though, no doubt 6s envy would have set in!
I went for a 6s+ this time round so that it doesn't feel like I have the same handset... not sure how I will get on with it though!!

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Wait for the real use reviews of the 6S first. Battery life and any issues that may arise.

FarouqArifin

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Go for it immediately & now is the best time since 6S will arrive in just a couple of weeks.
Don't be like me, I've got an aging S3 Mini, and instead of switching to 6 last year I opted to wait and it broke in the worst time: right a week before the announcement of 6S and suddenly I got a dilemma between buying 6 or just wait a little more for 6S. I chose the latter and now I've got a painful 1 month without a phone which SUCKS until the arrival of 6S...

You'll never know when your phone will break & don't wait until it break just before the announcement of iPhone 7, the dilemma will be tough!

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I am an Android user (Galaxy S4), since 5S I've been considering switching to iPhone but 5S lacked a big screen, I like the screen size of my current phone and 4'' was too small for me but since the ''6 versions'' have a 4.7'' display and it's perfect for me. So I want to switch to iPhone due it's features seems more relevant to me, my phone is getting slower, it's metal bars started to peel-off and I got a MacBook Pro. ''S'' versions have always been the ''true iPhones'' for me, so I waited until 6S but some people here have said that they'll wait the 7. So should I get the 6S or wait for the 7? Note that it will be my first iPhone.

I also have a Galaxy S4 right now and I seriously considered getting the 6S but now I think I'll wait for the 7 instead. My reasons are the following:
  1. iPhone 6S is seriously expensive. Considering how miserable the 16 GB version is you'd have to go for the 64 GB one which is even more expensive. I have a 16 GB S4 and could not deal with it if it weren't for the SD card slot. I hope there's a 32 GB base version next year.
  2. You're going to want a bumper or case. The Galaxy S4 stock back cover is slippery but can be cheaply replaced with something more grippy. The whole iPhone 6S is rather slippery feeling to me. A case is added expense and makes the phone wider negating the benefit in one handed use from the slightly smaller size than the S4.
  3. The S4 is still fast enough IMO, I'm running a stock Lollipop ROM (from Google Play Edition) on mine and it still runs fine without all that much lag.
  4. Safari scrolling is miserable compared to what is in Chrome or any other Android app. You have to flick your finger a lot to get all the way to the end of a long page compared to the "flick once, tap to stop" scrolling on Android. Being unable to set default apps is still a minus for iOS.
  5. While camera seems to work better on iOS in general, I would've liked to see optical image stabilization on the 6S. This is a feature that is on many new flagship Android phones so I would expect iPhone 7 to have it as well - the iPhone 6 design just apparently couldn't fit it (as it's one of the few hardware differences compared to the 6S+).
  6. The bands on the back are pretty ugly and the fact that you can only get the gold and rose gold colors with a white front panel is a minus for me. Black front looks better and blends with the display.
TL;DR: The iPhone 6S is not the perfect design IMO and doesn't have enough improvements to warrant changing my S4 just yet. I can wait another year (or used iPhone 6S to hit the market if my S4 breaks).

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
From the 6s to 7, the upgrade will be minimal except the design. The camera won't be much different. But then it's Apple.. They always know how to make their phones appeal. Personally I'd rather buy the numbered cycle since I want a new design. But I want to switch to iOS this year so yeah.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida

The s versions are the better ones as they address design issues and typically introduce a key use case like apple pay or Touch ID. This one is particularly cool.

kentsydney

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2015
Waiting for 7 or even 8- I love my 128 gig 6 plus and can live without the 3d touch and camera upgrades-

I'm actually scared of changing as I have a lot of music and audiobooks and with some stuff being in the cloud from past experience it's getting so hard to get a new phone to be loaded like my existing phone - when I plug my iPhone into iTunes rather than using a wifi sync I really don't understand what syncs and what doesn't. It's even more confusing with music match and now apple music- I hope apple can make this easier to understand as no one I knows really understands what syncing does-so I'll put off this pain as long as possible!

Kuroz

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Waiting for 7 or even 8- I love my 128 gig 6 plus and can live without the 3d touch and camera upgrades-

I'm actually scared of changing as I have a lot of music and audiobooks and with some stuff being in the cloud from past experience it's getting so hard to get a new phone to be loaded like my existing phone - when I plug my iPhone into iTunes rather than using a wifi sync I really don't understand what syncs and what doesn't. It's even more confusing with music match and now apple music- I hope apple can make this easier to understand as no one I knows really understands what syncing does-so I'll put off this pain as long as possible!

I have that same problem, when i connect my iphone 6 to my desktop. It says do you want to sync to this computer and that it'll delete whatever and add the new stuff, but I'm pretty sure my iphone is synced to my laptop from the iphone 2 days and i dont want to risk having it deleted.

Now adays I just click back up iphone and avoid the sync button in Itunes.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I'll be waiting for the 7 or later model. Currently running an iPhone 5s and works great so I don't see a point in upgrading. Not to mention I can't justify spending $528.99 + tax on a phone with a two year contract here in Canada. Buying the phone outright here is again to expensive for me.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Go with the 6S get 64gb min and get apple care plus, then next year sell the 6S and get the 7 I upgrade every year and the resell value of an IPhone has always been great.

To help pay for the cost differences I skip a Tims coffee in the mornings and take my own coffee from home. It doses not take long to save the difference if price from what I sold my old phone for and what a new one costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.