iPad Get the iPad Air 2, or the new Retina Macbook??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snarestud940, Mar 18, 2015.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

So here is my dilemma. As you can see in my signature, what iPad and macbook I have. I'm looking to upgrade one, and I'm not sure whether or not to upgrade my iPad to the Air 2, or get the new retina macbook that will be out next month.

Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I am debating between the new MacBook or the iPad Air 3 for graduate school as a complement to my 15" rMBP.

I'm lending towards the new MB because of the increased capability brought by OS X.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Which one do you use more now? What kind of tasks do you do on a regular basis?

4. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response! I use both. I am in grad school, my macbook was just updated to 8 gb of ram, but its very old still. however, in bed, or couch, i just use the iPad. i don't know what would be better.

I have the space gray iPhone 6+, i would probably get the space gray iPad air 2, or the gold macbook.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I would think the macbook would be the better choice. Im not too familiar with the 08 MacBooks, but the new macbook would provide a much higher portability compared to that one. The iPad would be a nice upgrade, but I think the macbook would be more useful to you. I don't think the iPad would really show much improvement to your life just using it around the house.

6. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input! I'm still debating. Im also interested in getting the sport watch, so I'm not sure. Then you have to calculate all the applecare on everything as well. But I'm not sure what to do yet.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If you are thinking of shelling out 1300 plus which is what the new MB starts at before taxes, 80 dollar required adapters etc, you should just get a 13 inch retina mbp. It would cost less than the new MB and give you so much more for your money. For what it is, the new MB is about 4 or 500 dollars more expensive than it should be.

If you don't really need the power of a pro, but still want a laptop that you can actually charge your iPhone and iPad with, or plug a thumb drive into without needing an 80 dollar adapter, you should look at the MB air and iPad Air 2. If you look for deals, you could almost land both for what the new MB costs.

8. Shanghaichica, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

That's my combo, MBA and iPad air 2. Both are very portable and cost roughly the same combined as the new MacBook. The MBA is very light and portable.

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I had two iPads (1 and 3). Once I bought a MBA11, I used my iPad less and less, until I stopped using it altogether.

MBA is nearly as convenient as the iPad, and much more powerful and well rounded.

10. John.Lynn macrumors newbie

It really depends on what your computer needs are for school. I recently upgraded from an early 08 Macbook Pro even though it still had plenty of life left in it. I upgraded to 8GB of RAM but the SSD upgrade was the game changer for sure. I was still able to run all of my engineering software with VM's without issue. My main motivation was processor and battery life, so if the battery is the issue I would upgrade the Macbook. If you don't have more strenuous processor needs and always have access to power, update the iPad and switch to SSD and save some money

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's not, once you realize that the MacBook starts at 256GB/8GB. Look at the price of a MBA or rMBP with that spec, not their base specs.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes but that is you buying into Apple's crappy attempt at justifying that ridiculous price tag. They put the 8/256 combo in the new mb so people would think it is a good value. 4gb of ram would have been plenty with that processor the new mb has. If they had released a 4/128 base model for 899 then it would be a different story.

Also, comparing the capabilities of an 8/256 Air or retina pro you see how much more you get while still paying less. Better battery life, better connectivity etc.

13. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

Go with the Air 2, it is so capable and portable, not to mention fast, battery life is also outstanding.

It all depends on your usage, if you can do everything you need to do on an iPad well then what a pleasure, imagine going to school with just your iPhone and iPad thats it!

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you aren't sure, why not question the need for the upgrade?

15. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I would get the MacBook now, since it's the newest. The next Air model is closer due.

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Depends if you do mostly content consumption (iPad) or content creation (macbook). As a student, I would upgrade the laptop first.

----------

Yeah, the MBP is such a better value. If the macbook was $1000 at the same specs, it would be competitive.

17. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I feel like they're going to phase out the Air and only have 2 MacBooks … $999 MacBook and $1299 MacBook Pro. Just a hunch.

I bet the next iPad Air will just be called iPad. Not sure what the larger iPad will be called … perhaps iPad Pro. Then there's the iPad mini.

18. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

rMB is much more useful but to truly replace iPad Apple should've made something like the Surface Pro. Thinking about getting the rMB but will probably end up getting the upcoming Surface Pro 4.

19. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'd stick with the iPhone 6+, your current iPad and upgrade the MacBook as it's by far your oldest device.

20. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

As far as I can see the new MacBook is kind of an iPad air on steroids with a keyboard. All the power of OSX while being almost as portable as an iPad.
    I will get one as I am constantly switching between my iPad and my MBP. I like to use the iPad best but I have to use the MBP where the iPad does not have enough power or storage or the right apps. I sometimes even take both on business-trips.
    My hope is that the MB will cover both bases.

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

22. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

That’s a very good point – an iPad Air on steroids. I just might consider getting a new MacBook instead of the latest iteration of the iPad Air.

23. scottyy macrumors member

Being a student I would update your notebook first.

iPads are great and I use my air 2 everyday but I would be lost without my main Mac.

Your MacBook will be the first they will stop support for so upgrade that first.

24. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I would say get a used or refurb MacBook Pro that has more functionality and a bigger screen, then get an iPad with the hundreds you will save. Seeing how much those MacBooks are makes me uneasy, excellent design and ground breaking, but not worth it yet.

25. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Both!

I use my iPad Air 2 as my textbook and note-taking/reviewing device and my MacBook Air for quizzes, online discussions, etc.

I want to pick up the retina MacBook to replace my Air (which my wife has since taken over).

I wouldn't want to go without either, but my iPad Air 2 is probably my most used device.

EDIT: I'm doing an online MBA by the way.