Get the iPhone 4S or wait for the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WhackyNinja, Jul 15, 2012.

?

Get the iPhone 4S or wait for the 5?

1. Get the iPhone 4S

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Wait for the iPhone 5

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. WhackyNinja, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Hey. This thread probably has gotten this question 10000 of times. But I just wanna ask it for your opinions. My birthday is on the 28th and Im in need of a GOOD phone (My phone is HTC Arrive Windows Phone 7.5). I want to get the iPhone. But idk what to do. Go for the 4S or wait til October for the 5?

What do you guys think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're actually in "desperate" need, it sounds like you can't wait until October.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If one waited to see whats new out around the corner, then one wouldn't
    actually make a purchase at all.

Buy it.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have saved up enough money and would like to take an iPhone with me when I go on vacation next month. If I waited for the release of the new iPhone the 4s might be cheaper. However, I wouldn't have an iPhone to take on vacation!

Since I'll be buying an unlocked one to use on Straight Talk, the resale value should be higher if I decide I need the next generation iPhone. I'll let you know tomorrow what I've decided!

5. jonsuh macrumors member

At this point, you're only a couple of months away. Wait it out; you'll be glad you did when the time comes.

If you get the 4S now, when the 5 comes out, your 4S will depreciate in value.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm waiting.

7. Chis2busy macrumors member

well the 4s is already not a worthy successor the the 4...4 was a stellar device...4s is a battery sucking black hole...wait for the 5..i leaped from 4 to 4s and still banging my head on the wall.

8. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

The new 19 pin dock connector is the biggest problem with the iPhone 5. It will make all of those stereo docks obsolete.

9. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I find my 4S to be a smoother, faster experience beyond my iPhone 4 which when on iOS 5 only performed smooth animations when returning to the home screen if you used three rows of apps instead of the full four. :rolleyes:

People who think the 4S isn't significantly quicker than the 4 have only used it side by side in the Apple Store for 5 minutes. The 4S is a more than worthy "successor" ... and the battery life is fine on mine, using the same settings as my 4 before it.

----------

Wrong. I sold my 18 month old 16GB iPhone 4 for just shy of £300.

iPhones hold their value very, very well.

11. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I agree. My 4s is oodles faster than my friends 4. And my friends 4 battery life drains at a similar rate to my 4s. 4s obviously will have a bigger drain with the dual core. I actually dont mind being tied down to this 4s for the next two years because it's plenty fast and plenty of phone for me. I'll get the 6 in 2013 :)

12. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

That depends on a couple things:

1) Will you be buying it discounted with a 2-year contract? If so, you might regret not being able to get a discount for 2 years if you get the 4S now. (on the same note, if you do not go with a contract, do you typically use the same phone for at least a year or two? If so, you might regret not waiting a few months considering new features it will have).

2) Will your current phone last a few more months? ...if it is falling apart or if it is not working properly you may want to go ahead and get the 4S now. The iPhone 4S is nothing to sneeze at.

The next iPhone will likely be out this fall and most likely will have LTE ability, if you live where this is already available this might be a consideration. It is also rumored to have a metal back instead of glass, and I've heard of a lot of breakage on 4/4S glass backs. (I sometimes drop phones, this would not be good for me as I don't want a bulky case on it, like it to slip nicely into my pocket.)
    ___
    Another option, (GSM networks only), if you have a friend that has a 3GS they are not using and they don't care about selling it, maybe you can rent it from them for a few months (or maybe they'll be nice and sell it to you for cheap). I have such a friend :D and, I have to say, it runs iOS 5 pretty nicely, though doesn't have all the features, it will get me through. I, personally, can't wait for redesigned with metal back, and some of the other features it's rumored to have.

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Spot on, that's exactly my point of view.

14. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Most likely I will get the iPhone 5, but then again I won't know til Saturday. The phone I have is starting to fall apart, and the system isn't working that well. Personally I really don't care about the new features of the 5 (...even though it looks cool don't get me wrong) I just want a phone that has a front facing camera, and good OS, and wide variety of apps (reasons I hate Windows Phone) and Siri :D

15. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Great minds think alike. :) I'm sure phones will continue to get faster in the next two years but honestly the 4s is fast enough to keep me satisfied until my upgrade.