Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBlueMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
2
0
Heyo there,

After 10 years of using my MacBook Air - 2011, it’s time to upgrade to the MacBook Pro. I’ve been holding off in getting the MBP in 2020 because I want the 14.1 screen, and looks like 2021 is the time the bigger screen will be released.

When it comes to Apple releasing their 2021 MacBooks, should I get it when it’s first released (likely May) or should I wait until they refresh later in the year (likely November), which is the 2nd generation, and most times the refresh includes hardware bug fixes from the 1st release.

The reason I ask this is because after their initial releases, looks like Apple updates their MacBooks within 6 - 8 months of the same year (see MBA or MBP 2019/2020 releases/updates). And also I plan to invest in this MacBook for the long term by keeping it for 5 years.

What are your thoughts?

PS: My current MBA lags most of the day (even with few apps opened), touch pad doesn't work (easily fixed w/ wireless mouse), have to keep charger plugged in at all times. The waiting time is kinda unbearlable, but with good reason, I may be patient enough to get it at a good time.
 
Last edited:

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
839
815
Welcome! You're likely going to get thoughts all over the place on this one with good justifications for both directions. I personally have developed a preference for second or third generation products after a new form factor is adopted as it seems any time you get a new form factor you get quirks and shortcomings specific to that design–how big of an issue it is depends greatly on the user and most of these issues are generally not covered in mainstream reviews. I tend to buy later in release cycles as well so I have a better idea of the system's reliability, so I get an OS that is mature, aand so I know what problems/annoyances I should expect and what fixes/workarounds users have developed. All that said, there are very legitimate justifications for doing the exact opposite of what I do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: G5isAlive

Jabzzz

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
9
1
Sounds like your battery is shot on your laptop. It worries me that the trackpad has stopped working and your battery has to be plugged in to work. Is it swollen?

You’ve made a lot of bold predictions, but the formula is simple. If you need a laptop, buy one. If you don’t need one then don’t keep waiting as there will also be a better machine on the horizon. FOMO is hard, I get that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: G5isAlive

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
6,139
6,990
I don't expect a sub-12-month refresh cycle on these machines, all of the 'quick' refreshes are exceptions (16" Pro replacing 15" in 2019; 2017 Pros released in June after 2016s delayed to October; M1 Macs released in November after final Intel refreshes in Spring). Generally the main MacBook Pro models have been released on a summer schedule yearly (with above exceptions) since 2014. It sounds like your Air is on its last legs, so I wouldn't delay in replacing it as soon as the model you want appears.
 
  • Like
Reactions: G5isAlive

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
1,307
365
I would wait for the 5th gen, just to be safe!
sarcasm.jpg
 

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
3,176
139
San Francisco, CA
I just ordered the M1 MBP (actually receiving it tomorrow) and I think I am going to return it for a Base 13” MBA for now and wait for the 14” to commit to a MBP. The total for the 2020 M1 MBP was $1500 M1/256/16 gb, so it would be nice to have extra cash in my pocket versus into a machine I would eventually upgrade. Although the MBP is a perfectly fine machine, I would want the latest refresh in design for resale value in the future.
 

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
1,025
3,350
Unfortunately if you want a screen larger than 13.3” (As OP states) Apple doesn’t give you the choice.
I wanted a large screen too, but after using this 13" model and utilizing my iPad Pro as secondary display, I am content!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Falhófnir

TheBlueMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
2
0
Interesting comments.

For those who are wondering, why I'm considering upgrading now than previous years is because 2011 models were made with great long lasting hardware. The battery condition states "Replace Soon", I can still unplug the charger, but the battery will drain within 1-2 hr of use. That's pretty impressive for a 10 year battery that I never replaced. I don't see why I should upgrade, when the basic functionality is there, and I bet I can still use it for another 5 years as a back up. It's just been the past year or 2 the performance is starting to lag, and even after restoring it.

Also, after years of using the 13.3" screen size, and having a 24" external monitor, I feel my productivity improves a bit with a slightly larger screen, hence the interest in the 14.1" screen. I'd like to stick with the MBA, and only the MBP will offer the 14.1" screen.

Overall good feedback on both sides who'd prefer the release or waiting for an update. End of the day, the decision is based on situation and preference.

When the reviews are good, I will be moving forwarding with my decision.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.