Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
I'm looking at getting my first laptop, and am diving into Apple's dish of pudding (unless you count the few months I've had an iPhone).

I'd like to get the high-end 15" as I intend to use it for the most important of all computing tasks: Surfing for pr0n, posting on internet boards with horrendous grammars and spleling, and playing World of Warcraft/Left4Dead 2 (on Windows partition, no less).

As it's been a long time since I've built a computer (and only desktops, at that), I feel more comfortable with something that I don't have to screw around with. (*sigh*... 'it just works'...)

My question revolves around the amount of memory I should get in the box when I buy it. My last desktop (the aforementioned self-built computer) had 4gigs of RAM and ran everything (that I wanted to) fine a couple of years ago (specifically, pr0n was surfed, L4D 1 was played, and forums were trolled).

Apple, with its uncutuous glamours, suggests that I can have 8 gigs of RAM for the ghastly sum of 540 American dollars.

Is this wise? Is this necessary given my _stringent_ requirements?

I'm concerned as there is no simple add-in, and both sticks would be replaced. Given my ignorance of laptop design, I'm not even sure it's possible to upgrade laptop hardware, actually...

Please be gentle.

edit:
<obligatory "Should I wait for Arrandale" comment>

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Welcome to the forum! Great post! Nice and honest! 4GB should be fine for your purposes.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
It is possible to upgrade ram and hard drive and you can replace the superdrive with either another hd or a bluray. If you can build a desktop you can do the upgrades. 4gb should be fine for what you want to do.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
4GB is fine but if you feel like upgrading, don't do it from Apple. OWC or Newegg will give you much cheaper deals already. OWC for the full 8GB is now $465.99 ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/ ).

Apple's premium on RAM is consistently ridiculous.

RAM upgrade is pretty simple, albeit not as simple as it used to be: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

Edit: OWC apparently also gives you cash rebate by sending in your old memory.
Edit2: If you can hold it off for a month or two, perhaps wait if there will be a new CPU. Lowdown, you will get a 1st generation product.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
I'm not the most savvy computer user on the planet, but I found it easy to upgrade the RAM in my MBP, and my iMac.

I have also watched the "How to change the hard drive in a MacBook Pro" videos on youtube, and it looks a doddle, providing you have the right tools, take care, follow the instructions.

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Apple, with its uncutuous glamours, suggests that I can have 8 gigs of RAM for the ghastly sum of 540 American dollars.

Is this wise?

In a word: no.

I doubt you need 8G except for WOW - and there I can't help you, as I'm not a gamer.

But for G*d's sake man, don't buy it from Apple.

Agree with mmulin above.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
We have 10 Macs at work (MBP and iMacs) and we have never bought memory from Apple. We use memory from http://www.crucial.com and have never had a problem. And like others have posted, we don't run more than 4gb in any one machine. Even if the heavy development work we do we find the maachines run great loaded with that much memory.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Edit2: If you can hold it off for a month or two, perhaps wait if there will be a new CPU. Lowdown, you will get a 1st generation product.

I have little problem with holding as the mythical financial aid and scholarship faeries have yet to sprinkle their powders on my purse strings yet while I may be slavering for a moste potent translator of ones and zeroes, I'm leery of your "1st generation" comment.

Does Apple get anyhing right the first time around? (I have peeked at the sundry buyer's guides and they do not give much comfort.)

If I look at the refurb portion of the store, how do I know which revision of beast they will send?

Thank you all for your input. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.