Get the Upgrades on the High End 15 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Feb 24, 2011.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

Since my Dell died last week and there are new models today, it is the best time to get a new MacBook Pro. I am already deciding on the high end 15 inch since the processor is better and the graphics card is way better, and will be able to do more for longer into the future. The only things I am curious about is to upgrade the screen and the hard drive. I looked at the previous-gen's reg- and hi-res screens and I am fairly confident that the hi-res makes things a little small for my taste. Now, should I bother to get the 7200 RPM drive and lose some space? Or is the difference of 5400 to 7200 RPM negligible? Thanks! :apple:

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Its really no big deal. It will take 3-4 sec longer to open apps and a few more secs to boot and transfer large files. If you would benefit more from a larger HDD, then get the 750 GB @ 5400 RPM.

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I actually think its a very big deal, you should consider an ssd option, as your computer will be very noticeably faster. Just a joy to work with. Why buy a ferrari and use wheels from a motor-scooter.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I think $100 to upgrade to the 128gb SSD is pretty dang fair. I was just looking at that. I don't know if you got an existing internal HD you could throw in place of the DVD drive. That's the route I would go!

5. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about an SSD a few months back, but on a part time job's pay and the same amount of storage I can get from a HDD for so much less, it doesn't really seem like the best idea to get an SSD now. Maybe in a year or two though :rolleyes:

6. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I wonder how good the apple ssd is compared to others at owc. I am sure it's pretty significant.

7. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I would rather leave the SuperDrive since a HDD would move around a whole lot and not be secured since the SuperDrive would have a larger place in the unibody. I do kinda wish those rumors of a 16GB SSD for boot were true though :rolleyes: lol

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

there is no comparison .. the owc ssds are blazing fast .. the apple ssd however is still faster than any mechanical hdd and silent

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Purchase the 2.3GHz model, stock config, and add the 8GB of 1333MHz RAM and the 512GB SSD yourself, it's much cheaper than having it installed at the factory, in fact you could probably save near $500 by upgrading yourself.

10. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

all the prices I have seen for the 512gb ssd is like 1200 .. where apples is 900 with edu discount