Get the verizon iPhone4 now or wait for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThisIsMyName, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

2. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Possibilities

There has been few rumors about the next iPhone. Many people assume the next revision is this summer, as evident from the past. However, we don't know whether it will be LTE, dual GSM/CDMA, etc.
    I am going to get my iPhone 4 on Verizon the morning of the pre-order date. If I get it now, and speculation that it is not going to be LTE this year, I will get an LTE iPhone sooner rather than later although it may take two years, as I plan to own an iPhone with Verizon. That's how I look at it.

3. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

The next gen iPhone won't be released in Summer for Verizon model. However I would expect this time next year for it to have LTE capabilities.

4. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I love how people put out random facts like they have an inside with Apple.

Regardless I would wait a few months and see if Verizon announces iPhone 5. You already waited this long, might as well wait more

5. cheeseblock macrumors member

man i'm starting to get tired of these threads

buy now. you won't regret it. if you already have a nice phone that you like, then wait for the next one. just keep in mind that there is no guarantee that a new one will be on verizon this summer

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Statistics regarding Apple product cycles aren't "random facts". Logically, there's no way they would offer the iP4 now and iP5 in 4 months. Early adopters would have 19-months left on their contracts and Apple/Verizon wouldn't benefit by offering reduced prices for them. Logic > Random

The only thing worth waiting for would be the white iPhone 4 on Verizon.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would expect iPhone 5 to work on all networks. The last thing Apple wants is to deal with multiple hardware versions. They don't mind keeping an old model like 3GS around to compete against those lowball Android phones but they really would rather not support 2 independent product lines. I suspect the iPhone 4 is using the same chipset as the Att iPhone 4 with some modifications for CDMA. I'd like to think (or at least I'm willing to bet Apple would like to think) iPhone 5 would work on any network, perhaps with some firmware configuration.

This is common sense more than "inside knowledge". It's a lot easier to do one excellent product than be distracted by dozens of different designs (ahem RIM). This still doesn't mean iPhone 5 will come out for Verizon at the same time it comes out for At&t because of carrier certification testing but I suspect the 2 designs will be nearly identical hardware.
    Now I turn my attention to the point of this thread: Should you wait? I waited. I was stuck on Verizon with Treos and Blackberries and even considered a Droid before I finally caved and went to At&t for the iPhone 4 (and cheaper albeit capped data rates) this past September. I'm sorry I waited so long. If you are walking around with a phone you do not like, there is no reason whatsoever to continue to suffer if you can afford a new one. iPhone 4 is a fine device. Knowing Apple, iPhone 5 will offer some new "must have" juice like proximity payments or something equally exciting but the fact is the main phone is a dream to use. If you don't believe me, get your hands on an iPod Touch and use it as a PDA as I did before I purchased my iPhone 4. Why not wait for iPhone 7 with its cerebral cortex implant, 300 terabytes of storage and 3d 1080p screen? Because walking around with a gimped phone is no fun. I should know. I did it from 2007 to 2010 and I'll never make that mistake again.