Get these annoying junks off my Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacPC, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi,

I have two WiFi networks in my home, whenever I move from one network from another, I always get warnings like "Safari can't verify the identity of the websit".....". For example, it just happened after I move to a different network, try to go to MacRumor's site. (Please see the attached screen shot.)
    What the hell are these identities? I don't even use the stupid Facebook, what does it has to do with FB?

Another perhaps related question, in the Keychain app in System Roots there are are a bunch certificates what are they some of them say AOL, but I hate AOL, I never use it, where did that come from? Can I delete these junks?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Press show certificate, if I remember well you then can trust the certificate.

As for system roots>certificates, you can't delete them, if if you could I would not do so, if you deleted the wrong one you might get into serious trouble when surfing.

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Hi justperry, thanks for the reply. I know I could do that but I don't want to trust them because I have no idea where they come from. Where did they come from anyways?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe you should install "DoNotTrackMe", it is an Safari Extension, it also blocks Facebook amongst many others, this might solve the problem.
    Like to hear if it did.

Edit: You can also block such sites in your hosts file, but this is more difficult.

5. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean FB is tracking me all this time? What an hateful act! :mad:
    I will give "DoNotTrackMe" a try. Thanks. :)

6. justperry, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Every time you load a new page on MR I get tracked 6 times!

I bought this 2012 Mini 3 months ago, see my screenshot and shiver!
    (Had DoNotTrackMe almost since the beginning)

Attached Files:

7. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I just installed Do not track, you are right, I have 6 tracks on MR, but FB is not one of them. Come back to the screen shot , why was Safari telling me it couldn't verify FB even tho I visiting on MR?

Also ever since I switched my WiFi network this morning, almost every site I went to has a similar warning (even after I installed Do Not track and reset Safari). Where did these certificates come from? How can I get rid of them for good? If I click on Contiune, some sites will let me go through, but some redirected me to an error page. (ie. Hulu)

8. chrfr macrumors 603

It's likely because of the link to Facebook on the MR page, but we'd need to see the info given when you click "show certificate" to find out.

9. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, since I clicked trust so I could get to MR, that warning no longer appears.

But another question, are these tracking intentionally placed in the website by the owner of the site? Or are they inserted by Google or some ad companies without the owner consent it?

Thank you as always. :)

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Security certificates are not cookies, nor are they tracking devices.

11. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I have it confused with cookies.

But I did a search on s-static-ak-facebook-com.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...lid-certificate-s-static-ak-facebook-com.html

It says this "That isn't Facebook. It is a malicious website that is trying to get you to think it is Facebook for the purposes of downloading malware or viruses."

Is it true?